Why did the baby chick and turkeys die??

Little Farm Girl

Songster
Sep 6, 2018
We bought 4 chicks at about 1 week old, and 2 red bourbon turkey chicks around the same age. They were all about the same size, and were doing great together. We (thought) we had been doing really well with this batch. It was a nice small batch, we have kept the bedding clean, they’ve had water with ACV in it in a plastic waterer, and the normal chick Crumble. Everyone was doing great. they have a heat pad(the mother hen method), they’ve been using it great, we watched everyone use it, eat, drink, everything. Go out one morning, both turkeys dead under the heat pad. The heat pad isn’t too low, and the Turkeys were fine the previous night. Went out 5 minutes ago and the healthiest feistiest chick Is dead just in the middle of the metal trough bin. It wasn’t a hot nor cold day today, the heat pad is still working, they still have feed and water. WHAT HAPPEND??? This has happened before Too.

The only thing we could thing of is 3 days ago we added some lime and shavings which made a little dust(but we Have always done that...from now on we will take them out for that part just in case) or maybe we added a splash too much ACV but could that hurt them?? Ugh:barnie:hit:th:he:bow:mad:

Has this happened in the same brooder you have them in? What type of bedding are you using? What kind of lime are you using? Agricultural or hydrated? Hydrated will kill them.

Are you using any kind of supplemental heat bulb or lighting?
Please help me out members, I remember there was some kind of coated bulb that was killing birds via fumes? There was a huge thread about it not too long ago...

Has this happened in the same brooder you have them in? What type of bedding are you using? What kind of lime are you using? Agricultural or hydrated? Hydrated will kill them.
It’s a large metal trough brooder that usually works well. We are using champion pine shavings which we have always used. Our lime bag said garden lime on it, and we use it lots with all of our chickens in their bedding to absorb, I will read on that right now.

Please help me out members, I remember there was some kind of coated bulb that was killing birds via fumes? There was a huge thread about it not too long ago...
We try to avoid any bulbs/heat lamps as much as possible as we had a barn fire due to one a couple year ago. The heat pad method seems to work well...

Teflon bulbs are toxic. I'm so sorry you lost them. How do their poops look? ACV wouldn't have killed them. The lime stuff might've though, I've never heard of it.

We try to avoid any bulbs/heat lamps as much as possible as we had a barn fire due to one a couple year ago. The heat pad method seems to work well...
Can you put a thermometer under the pad to see what the temp is?

Back
Top Bottom