Why do ducks stomp in a mud puddle

Would like to hear more about your blind duck! I have a young drake who's functionally blind (he has very limited vision in one eye), too.
I have posted a thread on here all about her Called the-amazing-blind-white-crested-duck and hope to start a YouTube channel about her because it has been a hard but awesome journey. Please read my thread and if there is anything you would like to share about your drake i would love to hear it
smile.png

I have posted a thread on here all about her Called the-amazing-blind-white-crested-duck and hope to start a YouTube channel about her because it has been a hard but awesome journey. Please read my thread and if there is anything you would like to share about your drake i would love to hear it:)  
Thanks - will check your thread out!

Edit: just read it, and it's a lovely story. Blind animals really can adapt and have a good quality of life.

Last edited:

Thanks - will check your thread out!

Edit: just read it, and it's a lovely story. Blind animals really can adapt and have a good quality of life.
They can have a good life....Once you accept that their life is different and different is not bad and enjoy them just the same everyday you will find joy and a little extra work......lol

I completely agree - as an observer, I know my "special" drake's life is more difficult than his siblings' because of his disability, but the important thing is that he doesn't know it's different for others, and he just does the best he can. I was amazed to discover that he can go up the ramp to his coop at night, and that he heads up when he hears us coming to secure the coops (the others just loiter and wait to be herded in, sigh). Such a smart guy...he's never felt sorry for himself...he just enjoys each day and attends to his important duck business. At first, I really wasn't sure if I had made the right decision not euthanizing him because he has to survive in a large free range, mixed species flock, but he's a trooper. I know I made the right decision now.

Thanks for sharing your story - it may help someone who's on the fence about how to proceed with a blind duck understand that this kind of impairment doesn't automatically mean a poor quality of life...and it may also inspire people.
1f60a.png

I completely agree - as an observer, I know my "special" drake's life is more difficult than his siblings' because of his disability, but the important thing is that he doesn't know it's different for others, and he just does the best he can. I was amazed to discover that he can go up the ramp to his coop at night, and that he heads up when he hears us coming to secure the coops (the others just loiter and wait to be herded in, sigh). Such a smart guy...he's never felt sorry for himself...he just enjoys each day and attends to his important duck business. At first, I really wasn't sure if I had made the right decision not euthanizing him because he has to survive in a large free range, mixed species flock, but he's a trooper. I know I made the right decision now.

Thanks for sharing your story - it may help someone who's on the fence about how to proceed with a blind duck understand that this kind of impairment doesn't automatically mean a poor quality of life...and it may also inspire people.
1f60a.png
Its nice to talk to someone that has a blind duck......Thanks for sharing with me
smile.png
You made the right choice like i made the right choice

How do you get your pekin ducks to go broody
I myself have no idea we had 3 pekin ducks for a little over a year 2 females and one male........ One of our females never cared she dropped her eggs where ever and the other one had hidden nest that we had to find and take the eggs then she found a place we could not get to we decided to let her lay on the nest but she was killed after only sitting on her nest for 6 days.........so out of 2 females only one went broody and with our new ducks not sure they are no laying and the pekin we have are crested so no ducklings for them

Back
Top Bottom