Why do hard-boiled eggs from some breeds peel easier than others?

locoyosh

Songster
10 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Lehigh Valley, PA
I have noticed that when I hard-boil my chicken's eggs that 2 of my breeds (Easter Egger and Rhodebar) peel very nicely and the others peel much harder. I have started to put aside the Easter Egger and Rhodebar's eggs for hard-boiling and scramble the others, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Anyone have any idea why some would peel easier than others? Is it an individual chicken thing or a breed thing? I have a couple of those Dash rapid egg cookers and I love them. Thanks!

My guess is individual chicken thing, based on how hard/fragile their shells are, how thick membranes are, consistency of the egg white, etc. I know which of my eggs I prefer to hard boil and which I don't, so I save the ones I prefer for that purpose and use the others for scrambling, mixing, etc.

Are you guys saying some breeds of chickens eggs are easy to peel when the eggs are fresh?

If so, I wasn't aware of that. My white leghorns eggs are a pain and I have to steam them to get them to peel.

My guess is individual chicken thing, based on how hard/fragile their shells are, how thick membranes are, consistency of the egg white, etc. I know which of my eggs I prefer to hard boil and which I don't, so I save the ones I prefer for that purpose and use the others for scrambling, mixing, etc.
Thank you for your response. I guess I'm not alone. I'm just glad we get some that are easy to peel!

Are you guys saying some breeds of chickens eggs are easy to peel when the eggs are fresh?

If so, I wasn't aware of that. My white leghorns eggs are a pain and I have to steam them to get them to peel.
Yes, two of mine lay eggs that are easy to peel when fresh. The rest are nearly impossible to peel. Strange!

Yes.
I just wish I could remember which are which :gig
Not that big a deal here, they all eat just fine, if a bit messy and ugly.

Back
Top Bottom