Why do I have eggs so early ?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Billyconnolly, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Billyconnolly

Billyconnolly New Egg

Aug 15, 2015
    Hello all,

I would appreciate some advice from some of you experienced poultry keepers please. I have 2 runner ducks (we'll cross breed runners) and was not expecting eggs until next year. They are now 22 weeks old according to the age and date when collected from the breeder!

The lady I got them from told me they will not lay until next year, however we have had a nice blue egg every day for the past week but not quite sure which duck is laying it. Was I sold ducks that were older than informed or did the breeder just give me poor information??

My second question please is, am I right to assume they are good to eat, I cracked one of the eggs and my only observation was that the egg white was very thick in comparison to a chicken egg. Is this the case with duck eggs[​IMG]

2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  3. Billyconnolly

Billyconnolly New Egg

Aug 15, 2015
    The web site is brill thank you.

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Be grateful, every one else complains because they have to wait for eggs.[​IMG]

5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flocK! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I don't really know much about ducks, but be sure to check out the duck forum if you have not already done so.

6. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    My neighbor's female duck started laying at 5mos old. I'm actually trying to incubate eggs from her duck for a second time (first was not successful d/t beginner error with humidity too high and the one duckling couldn't pip out :( ).

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by