Why do my chickens not want the treats I give them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CoopDeViIIe, Sep 21, 2012.

1. CoopDeViIIe

CoopDeViIIe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    I was under the impression that chickens would eat almost anything for treats, but my little backyard flock is being very picky. There are 6 birds, one is just over 2 months old, the other 5 are almost 6 weeks old. I have put spinach, cabbage, salad greens, potatoes, green beans, corn, some leftover pancakes, and even a little bit of pasta into their run, and yet they don't eat any of it. They have been eating their Chick Starter/Grower feed no problem every day. Am I missing something, or are they just really picky?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    They are really too young to eat anything other than their starter at this point, you might continue offering just a little bit of different things and once they get used to seeing them they will probably start picking at it.

3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    they are too young ,But dont stop giving them treats ! they are probably full from eating too much. You will have to learn what foods they like. My chickies favorite is cabbage !

4. pmona

pmona Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Henderson, NV
    My Coop
    Mine are the same way. They are 21 weeks now. Over the past couple of weeks I have tried corn, cabbage, water melon, cucumbers... They avoid it all.

5. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    try some hard boiled eggs chopped up shell and all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by