Why do my chickens not want the treats I give them?

CoopDeViIIe

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
I was under the impression that chickens would eat almost anything for treats, but my little backyard flock is being very picky. There are 6 birds, one is just over 2 months old, the other 5 are almost 6 weeks old. I have put spinach, cabbage, salad greens, potatoes, green beans, corn, some leftover pancakes, and even a little bit of pasta into their run, and yet they don't eat any of it. They have been eating their Chick Starter/Grower feed no problem every day. Am I missing something, or are they just really picky?

They are really too young to eat anything other than their starter at this point, you might continue offering just a little bit of different things and once they get used to seeing them they will probably start picking at it.

they are too young ,But dont stop giving them treats ! they are probably full from eating too much. You will have to learn what foods they like. My chickies favorite is cabbage !

Mine are the same way. They are 21 weeks now. Over the past couple of weeks I have tried corn, cabbage, water melon, cucumbers... They avoid it all.

Back
Top Bottom