Why Do My Hens Keep Making This Noise In The Morning

MrShax

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
United Kingdom
My Coop
My Coop
Why Does My Chicken Make This Noise All The Time In The Morning Along With The Rest Of The Hens, They Also Do It Before Laying An Egg!!

0.jpg

That's not so bad. Sometimes they can really get a cackling when looking for the perfect spot to lay that egg.

If you think THAT'S bad, get yourself an Orpington! It will make her look like an amateur!

My BO hen sings so loudly in the mornings, that the rooster chiming in is a relief!

Not only that, but she does it at dawn, before laying an egg, after laying an egg, AND to celebrate someone else laying an egg! I think she even does it when she is THINKING about laying an egg, ha ha!

Your girl is as dainty as a petal in comparison to my BO! (Incidentally, my BO is also as vicious as all get-out. We call her Fire-Ant when she's not looking!)

- Krista

Watch for flock member that watches her closely as she wanders about making the sound. You will likely find it is the rooster. My roosters will follow such hens from a distance and wait some distance away while she lays the egg. Then she sort of sneaks away from nest before exploding into a sort of cackle to that tells everybody she is ready to rejoin flock / harem. At that point the rooster proceeds to cover / mate with her. Then typical behavior resumes until next egg is to be laid.

Oh, I have several that jabber like that, but MUCH louder...... and sometimes it seems like it goes on for hours!

I agree with Centrarchid. The black hen is interacting with the rooster that you panned to halfway through the clip. She appears to be anticipating being mated.

There are other, more loudly emitted hen vocals that are equivalent to a rooster's crow that mean they are pleased with themselves and wish for everyone else to know it. Occasionally, these hens can work up to a passing imitation of a crow. These vocals are loud, persistent, go on for some time and can be extremely annoying. They are also completely different from the egg song and danger announcements.

Oh, I have several that jabber like that, but MUCH louder...... and sometimes it seems like it goes on for hours!

Yes! *This* is why I laugh when I read ordinances prohibiting roosters for noise reasons - my rooster is the least of the noise from our flock. For added fun, as soon as everyone finally gets quieted down someone else will decide she needs to instigate a sing-along and they are right back at it.
If you think THAT'S bad, get yourself an Orpington! It will make her look like an amateur!

My BO hen sings so loudly in the mornings, that the rooster chiming in is a relief!

Not only that, but she does it at dawn, before laying an egg, after laying an egg, AND to celebrate someone else laying an egg! I think she even does it when she is THINKING about laying an egg, ha ha!

Your girl is as dainty as a petal in comparison to my BO! (Incidentally, my BO is also as vicious as all get-out. We call her Fire-Ant when she's not looking!)

- Krista

Too funny you should say that, as it is so true. Two of my three BOs are the biggest loudmouths I have EVER encountered in any chickens I have kept. The worst is my Fat Amy who seems to take great pride in being the loudest and will gladly engage in a shouting match with anyone who cares to challenge her ability to out loud them.

Yes!  *This* is why I laugh when I read ordinances prohibiting roosters for noise reasons - my rooster is the least of the noise from our flock.  For added fun, as soon as everyone finally gets quieted down someone else will decide she needs to instigate a sing-along and they are right back at it. 

Too funny you should say that, as it is so true.  Two of my three BOs are the biggest loudmouths I have EVER encountered in any chickens I have kept.  The worst is my Fat Amy who seems to take great pride in being the loudest and will gladly engage in a shouting match with anyone who cares to challenge her ability to out loud them.

Oh I hear you my BO Dottie is so sweet but when she starts in I want to wring her neck!! It wouldn't be so bad but when my other BO and hens join in at about 630 am I just wish I had earplugs! Lol!! That's when it's time to cover the head with a pillow and hope it don't last for 7 minutes again that morning!!

Back
Top Bottom