Why do my two pullet sisters look this different?

Scottandash16

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2023
Howell, Michigan
Our ladies are about 16 weeks old, we bought them all at the same time. But two of the girls (I think) look a lot different than each other. Any idea why?

Appreciate any help!
IMG_1835.jpeg
IMG_1836.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1836.jpeg
    IMG_1836.jpeg
    655.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1835.jpeg
    IMG_1835.jpeg
    603.3 KB · Views: 15
Is the one crowing by any chance? At 16 weeks if it’s a cockerel it should be crowing… even if you have another Roo it should be crowing.
No crowing. We don’t have any other roosters, well we didn’t think we had any roosters at all lol. Thought we had 10 ladies. We have young kids, so being rooster free was ideal and we don’t free range (they have a 1,500 square foot run and a 16x12 coop)

@ColtHandorf has Orpingtons and should be able to tell if that’s a cockerel or not.
I don’t see shackle feather on the neck of this youngster.

This is a 13 week cockerel and you can see his neck feathers are fuller and longer.
7642DAD2-57E4-4440-821B-2FA1D64A9C18.jpeg

Also he has a sickle shaped tail and holds himself like a Roo, and he is bottom of the Pecking order here.

A couple of my confirmed girls at a little over 5 mos / 20ish weeks, same date on both pictures. My runty pullet looked dramatically different from her blooming sisters despite age being equal:
Screenshot_20230819-182921.png

I'd want a full body shot to weigh in on sex.

I don’t see shackle feather on the neck of this youngster.

This is a 13 week cockerel and you can see his neck feathers are fuller and longer.
View attachment 3614341

Also he has a sickle shaped tail and holds himself like a Roo, and he is bottom of the Pecking order here.
Definitely doesn’t have a tail feather like that or any posture that is different from the other 9. Neither of the Orpingtons (or as I call them the light brown ones) are in charge. That honor belongs to my gray one named Nugget.

Back
Top Bottom