Why do people intentionally break the law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I incubated 5 of my chickens and ended up with one roo. I started thinking I wanted more so I called my city and asked about the rules. I was told how many I could have but was also told that I could NOT have any roosters. Too late, I already have one. Our code enforcement is complaint driven, which is to say they only come out when someone complains. I spoke to all my neighbors and they all say they are alright with me having a rooster. So yes I am breaking the law. If they come and tell me to get rid of the roo I will burn that bridge when I get to it.
Someone here suggest that maybe some of us think the laws apply to everyone else and not us. Well I guess I would have to admit that I feel that some of our laws are pure nonsence. If I "get caught" I will go the city and argue my case. I may win and I may lose but I will try.
wink.png

I agree that some laws are nonsense, but I still think people should change them before breaking them - personally, I would rather not get attached to a pet that shouldn't be there with the Sword of Damocles hanging over my head, knowing that I would have to part with them.

Believe me, there are LOTS of people that think the rules, no matter how small, don't apply to them. I own a small retail General Store and I see it DAILY.

Here's something nobody's said yet: Maybe it's easier to just go ahead and do it? I know around here, having JUST finished the process (it hasn't been 15 minutes since the Animal Control officer came by and gave us the final official nod), it would have been a HECKUVA lot easier to just get the chickens and deal with the consequences.

It's taken us literally 3 months (April, May, June) to go through the legal process in order to have our 3 hens. Is being legal worth it? Yes. But frankly I don't agree with the law on this one, so I would have preferred to not even have gone through it, because it WAS a hassle and it did cost time, money, and more effort than I think many people are willing to put in.

A law needs to be written so that people *want* to comply with it, either because the penalty is too huge to ignore, or because it's easier to do the legal route than go outlaw.

I suspect there are a gazillon people here in my city that want chickens, but the process is so daunting that in effect, it's a hypocritical law. Oh, sure, you can have as many hens that won't become a nuisance, but HERE are ALL the steps you have to go through to get your chickens, good luck!!! So people turn away. I think that our lovely city council did this deliberately so that they could SAY in theory that they're forward thinking and encouraging sustainability and so on, while in reality, they knew darn well it would never be an issue because nobody would jump through all those hoops and finish the process.

Is it just easier to be an outlaw? In some circumstances, I think it is.

Whitewater

Quote:
ME TOO!!
My DH and I have raised 5 children. We have (hopefully) taught them to obey the law, whether they agree with it or not. Furthermore, we taught them that if they don't like the laws they should work to get them changed. Plain and simple, I follow the law, and I hope my children do too.

I don't know why people do that, but I wonder about it every time there is a post concerning having to get rid of birds because they were found out or being a "ninja", etc. Why not just go ahead and do it right in the first place. I do see a lot of merit in the argument that it is easier to just do it, rather than jumping through the hoops, but in my instance, I would just go ahead and jump through the hoops. I'd rather prevent trouble later, and I'd rather enjoy my birds with a clean conscience, free of worry.
That said, the world is full of people who break laws everyday (and I'm not talking about real criminals, such as thieves, or murderers, etc.) I'm talking about people who speed, run lights, travel in the fast lane, rather than using it for passing slower traffic. . . there are laws regarding all of these things, and many more, but many do seem to think the laws don't apply to them.

Why do I keep chickens, even knowing it's against my town regulations? Because when I called up the zoning board to inquire as to the legality, I was told they aren't allowed but immediately assured that "just 3-4 chickens and no rooster" would probably be fine. The zoning board man went on to say that I should check with my neighbors and, if it was okay with them, he'd have no reason to ever come out and investigate. Apparently, even if he did come out due to a complaint, I could file for a variance and might be permitted to keep my chickens. Believe me, I don't love knowing that I've become so attached to my birds (not to mention the effort and money that went into the coop and run) and that I could lose them at any time. However, it was a choice between breaking the law (with the city's "permission") or not having chickens. Our experience thus far has been so wonderful that I wish we had started raising chickens years ago.

For me I have a town with such a vague by-law, chickens are legal but they must live in the house. the bylaw officer tried to tell me the run for day use had to go even though the chickens live inside and the run is not chicken nor preditor proof it's just a way of containing them to a 150sqf area not gardened in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom