Why do people intentionally break the law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Well, I do not know anywhere that this is actually a law, as compared with a common curtesy.

Here in CT it is a moving violation and a ticketable offense. It's referred to as "Impeding the flow of traffic" and our state troopers will give out tickets. There isn't a whole lot of courtesy on Northeastern roads unfortunately.

Laws are just rules created by other people to control the general population who behave, in large part, like sheep, following guidelines without any regard to whether or not the rules are actually worthy of being followed.

I prefer to exercise my right to free thought and do what's right not what's been dictated to me by others. It's the Alaskan way.
big_smile.png

What gets my goat is ignorant people. A friend of mine who lives in a subdivision with an HOA that prohibits livestock had to re-home two hens due to a neighbor complaining about the BAWKING. He knew he was taking a chance but with all the other noises that goes on there he figured no one would notice two hens. I went over there a few nights ago to help him get his A/C back up and running and we couldn't even have a normal conversation outside due to all of the yapping dogs. He said that it was like that all of the time. There is also By-Laws prohibiting barking dogs at any time. Now he and a lot of the other neighbors are getting a petition together to present to the HOA banning any dogs from being outside unless the owner is outside with them to keep them quiet.

I agree Chook. There are far worse nuisances than a few hens, and I'd rather THOSE things be against the ordinances. Hell, my chickens (most of which are legal, I have a few too many until I re-home my cockerels who are not yet crowing) are quieter than my dogs, and my dogs are quieter than my neighbor's kids that are constantly yelling and squealing in their yard on their trampoline (right up against the darn fence). Completely ruins an evening on the back patio. Our neighbors' only noise complaint at our house was our recently dying pool pump which we just replaced. They love the girls.

Laws are created for a lot of different reasons. The core reason is to protect people. You speak a lot here about "50 years ago" yet 50 years ago we had many fewer laws, albeit a smaller population. I agree in principle with some of the other things you mentioned but we are getting a tad off topic.

Not every law is there to protect people and some of those laws from 50 years ago are still law today. In Arkansas it is legal for a husband to beat his wife but not more than once a month.
barnie.gif
Then ther are the stupid laws such as a law that prohibits the Arkansas River from rising higher than the Main Street Bridge. How exactly would they stop that?
idunno.gif

I think that our cities need to take another look at some of the laws that are still on the books. I also think that if you want to own chickens you should check to see if it is legal and you know it is illegal you should at least okay it with your neighbors who could turn you in. If you do get caught, don't complain or whine because you knew it was against the law. No matter how dumb the law might be.​

Last edited:
I wasn't sure how many our city was allowed. We were in getting things settled on having a shop put up..they wanted to know what other structures were there...we had to tell them, a chicken coop, a dog run..a couple of sheds that would go when the shop was up. Brought up the chickens, asked how many, told them we had neighbors all around us with many more than they were saying, she just shrugged her shoulders and said...we know. Had the city inspector come out a couple of times during the time the shop was going up, he looked at our coop, dog house..chickens..
smile.png
Didn't say anything. We only had four at the time..the neighbors, 5,.7..10! Can't go with the roosters though. No roosters.. I've been hearing one lately..hope they get rid of it before they ruin it all for us and the city says no to chickens period, because people are having roosters. They can be noisy in the city. We have horses down the street!

Quote:
So if I move next door to you and think it's right to bring my nine dogs, three geese and 45 some odd chickens it's ok with you? My dogs have a howl fest at about 2-5 hour intervals starting at 6am, last one about.... hmmm, depends on time of year, sometimes as late as midnight. I freely think that everyone should enjoy howls and geese screaming.
wink.png

Quote:
Well, I got my hens and I knew they were illegal, but I had no idea then you could actually change an ordinance really. They lived in the basement for about a year, and now outside. I know the neighbors have heard them, they have been right next to our house while one is out there bawking away
roll.png
but I think they could care less, and even if confronted, I think they would think its neat. One neighbor did walk in our yard and see them and we told him they weren't legal. All he did was say they were neat and reminded him of his grandmothers hens.
Yes I had thought about maybe trying to start something after I learned ordinances can be changed, but didn't do that. The reason for getting them was to have our own eggs and use their poo and stuff for composting - which I wonder if their is an ordinance on that as well. ..and for if we did get caught, yes I wouldn't be so happy, but I knew that was a possibility and I probably wouldn't have blabbed on a forum about it and immediately try to change the ordinance.
And now I also have 3 new chicks, and 1 I am pretty sure a roo
roll.png
although now i'm trying to go somewhere, but idk how that will go but my grandma has a friend with a farm and talked about watching them while im gone.

sorry if its not written well...its 2am and my brain is not working well.

also...all family knows about them, just about everyone at my moms work. She was selling eggs to one person there and some of my friends know.

Last edited:
Quote:
So if I move next door to you and think it's right to bring my nine dogs, three geese and 45 some odd chickens it's ok with you? My dogs have a howl fest at about 2-5 hour intervals starting at 6am, last one about.... hmmm, depends on time of year, sometimes as late as midnight. I freely think that everyone should enjoy howls and geese screaming.
wink.png

Actually, my neighbor has several dogs, and yes there is a howl fest, and yes I can hear her geese from here too. I can also hear the jets flying by and the dragsters on the race track a mile away under the right weather conditions.

I choose to monitor my animals and control their barking to daytime hours, out of respect for my neighbors, and I keep them in my yard, again out of respect for my neighbors. I choose to do what's right and be a good neighbor, not because of the law, there isn't one that says my dogs shouldn't bark, I choose to respect my neighbors because it's the right thing to do.

My favorite law is the one that allows me to shoot any animals off leash who have come onto my property threatening my livestock.

Judicious pest control
wink.png

Quote:
I'm with U .... When they make a law that stops them from pumping millions of gallons of oil into our oceans, then they have the rite to worry about outlawing chickens.......... Like there's nothing more important to worry about
roll.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom