Why do people leave their dogs loose???

After years and years of BYC stories, plus my own issue with a next door neighbor, I treat EVERY dog like any other predator. After all, it's only a pet if it is on it's OWNER's property. See my sig line. I'm not playing games with loose dogs, not waiting until they actually kill one of my hens who is probably older than the stupid dog and doesn't deserve to be torn apart.

The other day, I had just gotten out of bed when my husband came in the kitchen door and grabbed the shotgun. Two humongous dogs, very well cared for by the looks of them, were running by my perimeter livestock fence on our pasture lot. If they'd made it over, that would have been the end of someone's "pets". To me, they're just predators on my property. I have had dogs most of my life and they were cared for like members of the family, meaning, they were ALWAYS contained on my property, period. So, I have no patience for anyone who allows their dogs to run like wild animals.

Wow I just finished reading your thread from 6 years ago so sorry you had to go through all that. It is crazy how people act and I'm pretty sure it's gotten worse these last few years. I still am waiting to talk to dog warden been playing phone tag but message left stated all they can do is set out a live trap since I don't know who owners are. I'm not going that route since the trap will most likely have a skunk in it than a dog. I really like the idea of painting a target on dog but I am pretty sure that'll fall under abuse. So unfortunately SSS is in effect. I'm thinking of putting pa dog laws in local paper highlighting the sections on defending your property aka shooting nuisance dogs and highlight the parts instructing dog owners to keep their dogs contained at all times. Of course I'm assuming whoever the irresponsible dog owners are not only can read but do.
Edit.
Just got off phone with dog warden supervisor. She is not sure if paint balling is considered abuse but she loves the idea. However she also told me to protect myself and property buuuut it depends on which state trooper shows up as to whether or not I'm fined for abuse, firing to close to residents .ect.
1f633.png
She was sympathetic but it was basically sorry good luck if you see the dogs again let us know. And since I am supposed to report any firearm discharge SSS is not in effect. I would never want this thread to come back to haunt me.

Well I hope someone out there whether its chicken owner or dog owner or whatever floats your boat owner
1f40d.png
maybe learns from this thread. Protect you and yours because even if law is on your side you probably are going to get screwed anyways. So sorry Cocoa it took your life for me to learn this.

RIP you will be missed

Well off to the garden thinking of planting some trees next spring better get a head start digging. Thanks again for all input. Good luck to you and yours
1f60a.png

Last edited:
Wow I just finished reading your thread from 6 years ago so sorry you had to go through all that. It is crazy how people act and I'm pretty sure it's gotten worse these last few years. I still am waiting to talk to dog warden been playing phone tag but message left stated all they can do is set out a live trap since I don't know who owners are. I'm not going that route since the trap will most likely have a skunk in it than a dog. I really like the idea of painting a target on dog but I am pretty sure that'll fall under abuse. So unfortunately SSS is in effect. I'm thinking of putting pa dog laws in local paper highlighting the sections on defending your property aka shooting nuisance dogs and highlight the parts instructing dog owners to keep their dogs contained at all times. Of course I'm assuming whoever the irresponsible dog owners are not only can read but do.
Well, some do, some don't. You never know about people. My problem is that, except for two dogs, a Boston Terrier across the driveway from us and the Blue Heeler/Aussie that was the subject of that thread of mine, I have zero idea where any dogs belong, or if they are true strays so I must treat them all as strays.

The paintball thing would probably fall under abuse, legally, but someone would have to know you did it. It's one of those "keep your mouth shut" and only the dog knows, and it's owner will know someone did it, just not who. But, maybe the dog won't come back to your place and maybe the owner will get the message, though some are pretty dense, from my experience.

Just saw a story on FB where someone's Husky was hung to their entry gate, with it's belly slit all the way up. Now, everyone says it's horrible, and it is-I would never do such to a dog, no matter what it did. But, my point is this: what is the rest of the story? Was it killing someone's chickens? Huskies are notorious chicken killers. Was it roaming and harassing other folks? People have the knee jerk reaction to the horror of it and her son found the dog on the gate dead, which was awful, but WHY did someone do this? There's usually another side of the story. A bullet to the head is the only way to take care of that, instantaneous, not torturous, but you see my point.

Last edited:
Ac
Actually my husband said we should get a Rottweiler. I told him I would LOVE one but he really needs to think long and hard before that commitment. If I spoil my chickens as much as he knows I do what does he think I'm going to be like with a dog. And I get to name it Dingo and dress it any way I want. So I won't be getting a puppy.
1f615.png

Here is the new run on homemade tractor. I still want to make run more raccoon proof but not harassing my husband anymore this weekend. I'll grab supplies tomorrow. I lock chickens in at night but I guess you never know if ones is going to be out during the day. I'm pretty sure it's dog proof though. Still didn't get electric fence moved but its going to happen.

And despite things I posted earlier, I still will try to find dog owners. I would feel awful if someone's dog died even if it was to protect my babies and I don't want it to come to that. There has been no sign of any dogs since second day of shooting. I really hope the dogs are smarter than their owners. I'll see what dog warden says tomorrow maybe I can still get a paint gun.

It sounds like you haven't skirted the run yet...HIGHLY recommended that you do this, otherwise critters can still dig under. I'd also put at least a two foot strip of 1/2" hardware cloth around the run to keep things from reaching in and grabbing the birds. In the pic below you can see how I skirted my run...2 feet of 1/2" hardware cloth skirting all the way around the run and held down with 9" lawn staples. The grass has mostly grown up through it now so it's not visible anymore, but still there and working.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this issue. It is definitely a frustrating thing to go through. I recently had to have a talk with my neighbor, who was letting her dog roam over to our yard while my chickens were free ranging. It was awkward and uncomfortable but had to be done for the safety of my chickens. I explained that even though he seems to be a gentle dog, he could still harm my flock and I'm not willing to chance it. She tried to lay a big guilt trip on me, crying and saying she would just have to get rid of the dog because she can't keep him from roaming. I told her that was all on her, not on me. My chickens are my responsibility and her dog is her responsibility. I think some people think chickens are just easily replaceable and they don't understand that our chickens become our babies. We name them, care for them and nurture them, so of course we become attached to them and love them, and protecting them is just part of our obligation to them.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this issue. It is definitely a frustrating thing to go through. I recently had to have a talk with my neighbor, who was letting her dog roam over to our yard while my chickens were free ranging. It was awkward and uncomfortable but had to be done for the safety of my chickens. I explained that even though he seems to be a gentle dog, he could still harm my flock and I'm not willing to chance it. She tried to lay a big guilt trip on me, crying and saying she would just have to get rid of the dog because she can't keep him from roaming. I told her that was all on her, not on me. My chickens are my responsibility and her dog is her responsibility. I think some people think chickens are just easily replaceable and they don't understand that our chickens become our babies. We name them, care for them and nurture them, so of course we become attached to them and love them, and protecting them is just part of our obligation to them.

Welcome to BYC! The emboldened part is right to the point, very well put.
I am constantly amazed that humans admit that a canine can beat them, that they cannot manage to contain a single dog. And most do not realize that a chicken can live as long as any dog can. My almost ten year old Buff Brahma would be mourned terribly if some dog got hold of her on her own property, where she has been safe all her life. Some guy says to me he has raised that dog from a puppy. Well, I DON'T CARE. I raised every bird here from an egg except two. Quite a number are older than, or as old as, the dog in question. Anyone becomes attached to an animal they've cared for that long. But, the ultimate point is: is the dog where it's supposed to be? And whose fault is that? Certainly not the chicken owner's.

Last edited:
I live in Pa. Yesterday one of the neighbors' dogs dug under our fence (in our yard around chicken quarantine pen)& killed one my pullets. Dogs running free is a BIG problem around me. I live in a semi-rural area that was all farms 10 years ago and is quickly being developed. Of course the folks from the city think its big country & for some reason that means their dogs roam free. Now I do not know who owns these 2 dogs however I've expressed concerns to other neighbors whose dogs ended up in my yard often. Sooo I really don't want to kill the dogs I truly believe its the owners fault for not keeping them contained. My plan was to shoot them with a paint ball gun, thinking it would hurt/scare the dog keeping them from coming back. And I figured when the dog went home with a giant red paint mark on it the owner would want to do a better job as dog owner. But after reading info here @BYC I'm now concerned I'll legally be in trouble for paintballing someone's dog but not for killing them. Does anyone have a better idea or do I have no choice?? I shot (a 22) to scare yesterday hoping that will be enough for those two dogs but that was third incident this week (5 different dogs 3 different neighbors). I have to wait till Monday to make a report to dog warden which I plan on doing even though I don't see how it's going to help since I'm not sure who those 2 dogs belong to. My DH has to put his weekend plans on hold we have electric fencing to put in it really stinks that we have to go through all that trouble because of irresponsible dog owners but as responsible chicken keepers we have to try our best to keep them safe. If there are dog owners out there with better ideas please let me know. When speaking to dog owners how should I express my concerns?? I really don't want to kill someone's pet (baby) but not as much as I want my pets(babies) to live. Thoughts???

Where I am at, you have the right to shoot any predator attacking your stock. Chickens are considered stock. You could also call Animal Control and report what happened. Talking to the owners about it doesn't seem to help at all. Irresponsible people will stay that way. Animal Control can pick the dogs up, and then the owner will have to pay a fine to get them back.

Last edited:
Well I went to a neighbor's BBQ over the weekend and we are officially the crazy dog killing neighbors
1f610.png
Of course it does not matter that NO DOGS WERE KILLED or shot or hurt in any way. Cocoa was hurt and killed and she was exactly where she was supposed to be. All my pets were and are where they are supposed to be.
So anyone out there who wants to rationally explain to their neighbors why they need to be more responsible Good Luck many folks get overly defensive QUICK
Please remember these tips
Security security security. Make sure your pets are safe DAY and night
Dogs are predators and should be dealt with as predators
Only tell the people you HAVE to tell if there is a shooting maybe say fox instead of dog
My pets my responsibility your pet your responsibility

And I don't know if it was a factor in her death but I thought I should mention. Cocoa and the other 3 pullets involved grew up (15 weeks on 9/9) free ranging around a trained full size poodle. When I let them out in original run I thought my gals would hide inside the tractor which is very secure if anything bothered them. Cocoa was also the friendliest and most curious of the bunch so maybe that's why she didn't go inside. So don't assume your chickens will know better. Chances are they won't

This seems like a good place for my question.

Over the weekend our neighbors dog came into the yard for the 3rd time in 3 weeks. The first time resulted in the dog (German Shepard mix) circling our run until 3 of our chickens jumped out to get away. One was an incredibly beautiful Blue Wheaten Ameracauna, the 2nd was a Cuckoo Marans and the 3rd was our Buff Polish roo. All 3 ended up dead. This happened when I was at work, my wife texted me about the whole thing. She didn't see the dog do it but the dog was not back under control when she went inside (lesson learned), we found the birds the next morning. I went and spoke with the neighbor and politely asked him to help keep control of his dog so I can worry about non-domesticated predators instead of domesticated ones. Exactly 1 week later we get home from a doctors appointment, the dog is at our big pen, trying to find a way in. I went inside, grabbed my rifle and went to shoo the dog away, making sure I was ready if it turned side ways. I then yelled over the brush line that the next time would result in an immediate shooting of the dog. So Friday comes around, 1 week later yet again, at this point we tried contacting the local dog warden, talked to the town supervisor and were still on the fence about calling the Sheriff out there. I am sitting on my back porch, the dog escapes control, and goes directly to the chickens/ ducks/ turkeys/ goats. I watched it hit the fence with every intention to kill a bird. I get my rifle, and shot the dog. It was a bad shot with bad timing on my part since the round went straight through with no internal organs hit :( Now I am the one charged with torturing an animal. I was told that because I have a fence set up and the dog was not in the pen with the chickens that I was supposed to wait for threat of imminent death or injury, which leads me to my question.

I know, as do we all, that the sheer act of the dog scaring the chickens and ducks can cause serious injury. Ducks have crappy legs, chickens will jump out of the fence to get away if the dog pursues long enough. Is there anything that any of you know of that is any sort of study that documents stuff like that. When I have to go to court I would like to have a piece of paper that proves that the animals were in immediate imminent danger.

In p
This seems like a good place for my question.

Over the weekend our neighbors dog came into the yard for the 3rd time in 3 weeks. The first time resulted in the dog (German Shepard mix) circling our run until 3 of our chickens jumped out to get away. One was an incredibly beautiful Blue Wheaten Ameracauna, the 2nd was a Cuckoo Marans and the 3rd was our Buff Polish roo. All 3 ended up dead. This happened when I was at work, my wife texted me about the whole thing. She didn't see the dog do it but the dog was not back under control when she went inside (lesson learned), we found the birds the next morning. I went and spoke with the neighbor and politely asked him to help keep control of his dog so I can worry about non-domesticated predators instead of domesticated ones. Exactly 1 week later we get home from a doctors appointment, the dog is at our big pen, trying to find a way in. I went inside, grabbed my rifle and went to shoo the dog away, making sure I was ready if it turned side ways. I then yelled over the brush line that the next time would result in an immediate shooting of the dog. So Friday comes around, 1 week later yet again, at this point we tried contacting the local dog warden, talked to the town supervisor and were still on the fence about calling the Sheriff out there. I am sitting on my back porch, the dog escapes control, and goes directly to the chickens/ ducks/ turkeys/ goats. I watched it hit the fence with every intention to kill a bird. I get my rifle, and shot the dog. It was a bad shot with bad timing on my part since the round went straight through with no internal organs hit :( Now I am the one charged with torturing an animal. I was told that because I have a fence set up and the dog was not in the pen with the chickens that I was supposed to wait for threat of imminent death or injury, which leads me to my question.

I know, as do we all, that the sheer act of the dog scaring the chickens and ducks can cause serious injury. Ducks have crappy legs, chickens will jump out of the fence to get away if the dog pursues long enough. Is there anything that any of you know of that is any sort of study that documents stuff like that. When I have to go to court I would like to have a piece of paper that proves that the animals were in immediate imminent danger.
[/quote
In pa the law states a dog can legally be put down for harassing your animals not just killing. Since harassing can kill livestock (chickens ,sheep ,horses-if they are spooked and break a leg have to be put down ect.) You would have to speak to dog warden by you to get specifics on laws where you are. I really suggest keeping your mouth shut in the future if any other predators come near your yard. Good luck sorry you have to go through all this.

Back
Top Bottom