why do people think your horrible when you say u eat your chickens

Chicken Rich86

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 14, 2010
I don't get why people think its wrong to eat what you raise. I told someone that I make stew out of old or problem hens and raise an eat extra roosters. The said the could never eat something they raised and I was a horrible person for killing a innocent animal. Then I asked them if they ate meat. They said yes. Do they not know someone killed that animal or a machine did it. I like to know what is in my food and I thank every chicken before I slaughter them.

Some people just aren't very good at thinking logically, I suppose.
hmm.png

i think some people just dont understand they think that if anyone has chickens they are for eggs and not meat. mine are pets and give me a great egg buisness not for meat at all. i personally think that its healthier to raise and eat your own you know what they are eating and how they are being treated. tell them to look up chicken factories on youtube and i think they will change there mind on how you are raising them.

We are pretty new to eating our own chickens. We just processed our 14 excess roos from our Spring hatches this past July... it was our first time to butcher birds. Evidently it went well enough because we now have 37 meat chicks that will be ready to process in early January (they are a slow grow naked neck hybrid).
Many of my friends were surprised at first that I was okay with raising chickens for meat... I had originally set out to raise chickens for eggs only. But, I figured if I'm going to raise chickens I should at least give this a try because I don't like buying chicken at the grocery store. Personally, I don't want to support how those chickens were raised and treated. By raising my own chickens for meat I will know they were treated very well by me, they were fed a great diet, they were able to run around, stretch their wings and be chickens... basically I will know that they lived a happy, albeit a bit short, life.
smile.png

I guess it's all how you look at it... some will not understand and think I'm a horrible person for butchering chickens I raise and think I'm killing my pets... and others will think someone horrible for buying store bought chickens and supporting what some may see as animal cruelty.
So I'm gonna do what I feel best about.
smile.png

Because they are judgmental, brainless, soft, and have never had to get food for themselves other than picking up a cellophane-wrapped chunk at the grocery store. They are so disassociated with life they can't even conceive that the meat they eat was once a living being. They can't even understand what it takes to raise broccoli. They don't even know how the methods we use for farming vegetables affects all living things.

They are too cowardly to think about death or understand it.

If it's one thing I hate doing, it's justifying myself. I have no problem telling these people exactly what I think of their spoiled whining.

Those opinions usually come from people who has never lived on a farm, grew a garden, hunted or had friends and family that grew food. I was raised on 50 acreas with cows, pigs, sheep, rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese and grew a garden every year, my wife grew up in the city and refuses to eat anything I process myself and feels like eating your own animals are like eating your pets. She also says that her food comes from the grocery store, she knows that's the excuse she uses to deny killing and cleaning animals and it's easier for people to think about it that way. She also realizes the difference in price for buying healthier raised meat products at the grocery store and what they refer to as healthier is a crook. I haven't converted her yet but I'm working on it. I just started raising chickens for my granddaughter but she is always out with the chickens enjoying the experience of raising animals.

I hope I didn't ramble but I wanted to give you an opinion of 1st hand experience.

I ask them how they can eat a commercially raised chicken and be okay with that. Then I ask them if they know how factory farms work and how the meat industry works. I eat grocery store meat and meat that I raise. I beleive that if you cant kill and clean an animal yourself then you shouldnt be eating it. We dont eat meat every day for every meal, but if we did I wouldnt want it to be bland insipid grocery store meat raised in the dark, fed poo, remnants of other animals,etc. How can you eat grocery store meat is a better question isnt it?

it really annoying when people say that kinda stuff to me. They would rather by the chicken from the store and not think about how they are raised. I have a friend who thinks she should call animal services on me because I cut the head of a chicken off when I was butchering it. Like common already! She also refuses to listen to me when I explain how the chicken from the store is raised.

I can tell you from my point of view that the only problem I have with it is that I will get too attached to the birds and then not want to let them go when it comes time to process them for the freezer. I have the same problem with my goats, lambs, pigs and cows. I get through it though because I know that they have the best quality of life from the time they get here until they leave. They get scratches, treats and the best of everything I can provide them even love. But that was the only problem that I had when I started eating my own chickens and other animals.

Lily

Back
Top Bottom