Why do people throw out lit cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Livinzoo, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    It is so dry. A few weeks ago it was nice and windy. We were lucky that we were home and even luckier that a passerby noticed it and called the fire department after attempting to stomp it out. The neighbors front ditch had caught on fire. The wind blew it. When we saw it there were 3 areas, one of which was quickly taking over the neighbors over grown pasture. Flames were over 5 foot high. The fire department showed up quickly and got all of the fire out.

Then last weekend I went to pick up a round bale of hay and as I was leaving I noticed the ditch across from his house was burnt up recently.

Then just now as I'm letting the dogs out to potty I see a car throw out a lit cigarette. I sent hubby out to check on it, we are about to go to bed and I don't want to wake up to any fires. I was going to say surprises, but I'm 5 days out from my due date and wouldn't mind waking to some contractions.

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    I loathe it when people do that.. have they no sense at all... jeesh.... hope all goes well with your "contractions".. Merry Christmas....

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    So many people are just thoughtless and uncaring of their own actions. I feel that most people get caught up in their own space and thoughts and become the only thing important to themselves at the moment. I hope that you can have a safe and easy delivery.

4. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    it amazes me that people think cig butts are not litter

and don't get me started on gum on sidewalks. look on the ground at the entrance to every food joint. NASTY!

5. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I agree.... it's disgusting!

You cannot go anywhere in public or walk along any road without seeing butts all over. I wish cops would start nailing people for it.

There's an exit ramp I take to go to the store, I swear, that someone was using that spot to dump their ashtrays..... there were piles and piles of them...... NASTY!!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm a smoker and close to a family who does this routinely. I have done what I can to make them see the error of this, to no avail. They respond that my car smells like an ash tray and theirs smells good. Of course my car smells like an ash tray, folks -- I'm a smoker. Theirs smells like they spilled a large bottle of vanilla.

Recently they reported throwing a cigarette out, and being seen by a cop who stopped them and gave them the choice of picking up a butt or paying a fine. They found a butt and picked it up. I couldn't restrain myself, so I said, good for the cop.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
  7. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I don't think they should be given the choice, they should have to do both, pick it up and pay for doing it in the first place!! Or...... maybe they have to pick up one butt for every dollar of a littering fee, that would be 65$....... 65 butts! a little community service served! [​IMG]

Trust me..... anyone who smokes in their car........ Regardless if the butts are there or not. IT SMELLS LIKE AN ASHTRAY!!! [​IMG] LOL!

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:My DH is a police officer and does this routinely. He says unfortunately it just makes these people dislike law enforcement more, instead of showing them the error of their ways.

9. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Not only cigarettes, but we also get random garbage thrown out along the road. This morning a coors beer can and a mcdonalds burger wrapper. The best was a bag of prescription drugs, the only one that was missing was the narcotics (they left the receipt).

10. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    They do it because they are jerks. We have grass fires around here all the time during dry season from people that do that. It's a hefty fine if a cop sees you do it.

I've seen people dump their ash trays out at stop lights. I've seen kids throw all their McDonalds garbage out too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by