Why do roosters crow?

The Zoo

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Hayward, CA
Serious question.
I know they can crow as an alarm, as a challenge, etc.
My boy crows all the time. It's like he likes to hear the sound of his own voice. He crows at night, in the morning, and off an on all day long. He's almost 8 months old and so is going through hormone surges, but dang! I'm glad I have neighbors who like the sound.

With other birds, "real" birds <g>, repeated singing seems to be a form of practice, honing their skills.

I would guess there is probably an element of that in what roos do, too.

Mostly though I think they are just programmed to instinctually crow. Some of them, a LOT. So they do. I do not think there is a lot of mental activity associated with it. Like, oh wait, I will not make any sort of human analogy because I am sure anything I said would offend *someone* but you can probably think of your own
tongue.png

They seem to do it a bit less as they mature. Some of them. If you're lucky
tongue.png

Pat

I have known people like that!

What seemed to trigger him right now was the high school down the hill is out for lunch and all the kids are running around and laughing, etc. So he crowed a lot.
We've been having construction done on the backyard - having all the men and noise seems to be what's started it.
I hope he loses the desire to crow all the time though - he's driving ME nuts if not my neighbors.

With our little bantam rooster, crowing and mating seem to go together. He's very "frisky" first thing in the morning; his hens seem to know that the first one who flies down off the roost is going to be courted quite agressively, so if she's not in the mood for love, she better be in the mood to run fast. It's humorous to watch them up on the roost, sitting there, looking at each other as if to say "you, go first." "No, you go." "Please, I insist! after you!"

I've noticed crowing and mid to late afternoon matings seem to go together too. The roo isn't as eager then, though, so if he gets brushed off by one of the hens he's fine with it, and goes back to scratching for bugs (no chasing).

He doesn't shut up - it's ALL DAY. And it starts at 4am sometimes.
I'm hoping it's because i have 2 of his hens currently inside recuperating and he's hearing them and calling to them but he's about to get stuck in a dog kennel in the garage till we can build him a bachelor pad.

Back
Top Bottom