Why do so many of you (us) want roosters?

I love my banty RIR roo (Rudy)
He is so good with the girls, keeping them in line and finding them food. He is also very gentle with them. My dog usually looks into the chicken pen, through the gate. Rudy will pace back and forth in front of the gate, protecting his girls.

He only tries to go after my DH, but soon backs down when my DH goes after him.

He loves to be held, told what a good boy he is and how handsome he is. After I put him down, he usually does his dance.

Quote:
I once had a 8-month-old Delaware cockerel that died trying to fight off a dog that was killing one of his hens. He didn't even have spurs, poor little guy. I'll never forget it. Many of them WILL try to fight for their girls if the threat is real.

Oh yeah, here's a sneaky way to get your DH on board with the rooster...if you have an incubator, be conveniently away when they hatch!! I had ONE turkey hatch once and my then (now x) DH was there. It imprinted on him, nestled in his lap, etc. Would call with pitiful long peeps when she didn't see him:jumpy. It followed him everywhere and flew to his truck when he pulled into the yard and landed on the rear view mirror. He is not the type to make a pet of a farm animal but this one was a real pet! Too bad you can't sex eggs...

I'm glad to hear they do other than protect against me
big_smile.png

I figured they did, I just hadn't caught em at it like I did the mama hen flying into the air and meeting a hawk twice her size...she flustered the hawk who crashed into the gate on his escape!

old.gif
back in the day...30 years ago...they sold "fertile eggs" for double price in the health food store supposedly more nutritious and kept better. I read recently online that the opposite is true? I thought at the time it made sense that fertile was more nutritioius and kept better.
caf.gif
Oh well "they" say something contradictory every time you turn around. The hot air vs cold air vaporiser for kids is a great example. BUT if you believe the earlier report, there's a reason for roos!

They are soooo pretty too...my all time favorite looked like the rooster on the corn flakes box...and his name was Cornflakes.

I will be happy if my rooster annoys my neighbor because they annoy me
somad.gif
I also hope the girls will hatch a few chicks and the rooster will alert us and them to potential predators. Not to mention I think roosters are beautiful.

I love roosters for pure hatching eggs and because I love the sound of crowing. I smile every time I hear mine or my neighbors roos crowing. It's a beautiful sound!

But my question is so you want roosters for protection of the flock? Meat? MORE chick????

Yes, No, Yes.

I love my rooster. If my neighbors got mad at me for my roo crowing they'd have to get over it because I have every right to keep roosters. Besides, a lot of my neighbors have roosters themselves.

My rooster does an wonderful job of protecting his girls. Roosters are flock protectors. And I love hearing a rooster crow...​

Ok well now I'll have to look in to a rooster.... but probably would have to be over 6 weeks old (?) since my hens are 6 weeks.

Hmmm
hu.gif
on second thought maybe I'd better wait and see if any of the shes are hes~

Back
Top Bottom