Why do their feet look weird?

The swelling is a liitle bit around their toes. The coop is well ventalated. I'll wash their feet as soon as I get a spare minute and this weekend I'll try to block them off from the ditch, at least for a few weeks.
smile.png
It will probably be a funny attempt at putting up fence because I'm very clumsy and I don't know much on building and stuff like that, but I'll give it my best try!
big_smile.png

Connected the dots (same girl w/ the new eggs ~'-)

You're doin' fine, and have many irons in the fire ... spare minutes are in high demand, and short supply, for such a busy Little Miss ~'-)

The best way to fix fences depends on your resources, which raises three questions for you to ask yourself -- what do you see layin' around that isn't spoken for (or, won't be needed 'til after you're done w/ it), and what do you have with which to purchase/trade for what you need, and what can you do (or, who can you get to do) about the run(s) you're wanting to fix.

Even old, rusty wire can be reused, by layering it on itself, and the existing fence. Old boards work well, by diggin' down just a bit along the fence, making a trench to tamp it's edge into, and stapling the wire to it (placing a heavy weight directly behind where you're striking sure makes it easier). Cutting strips from a fresh roll makes your wire go farther (2 cuts = 3 times the linear foot). Even logs 'n rocks will work, for many situations. Patches can be apply by twisting wires around the edges, and every so often across the area, or you can sorta 'stitch' holes w/ electric fence wire, or even thinner galvanized tie wire. Be creative ... I've one pen that's made of three gates flipped over, covered w/ three foot of box wire, and covered by the boards I was storing 'til spring, when the three panels will be used for goats, and the boards for their shed.

Any puzzles? Lay 'em out on here, 'n I'll see if I can provide you w/ solutions, but when it comes to drilling, hammering 'n such? This will be your opportunity to learn how ... there's always a first time for tryin' anything new.

I have some netting and a little bit of chicken wire laying around. How do I attach it to the coop if I do not have access to power tools?

I'm also in the process of integrating five new hens into this coop. Should I stop until the birds have their entire run back, or let them figure it out with the more limitted space?

I have some netting and a little bit of chicken wire laying around. How do I attach it to the coop if I do not have access to power tools?

Depends a bit on the material it's built from (old white oak rough-sawn lumber *eats* all but the smallest nails w/o pilot holes). But, if it's wood? You can roll just a bit of it around the back of a small strip of wood, and drive a few nails (be sure there's no electrical wires behind what you're nailing into). Driving two nails a few inches apart, but at two different angles, makes 'em hold much more tightly, but tap the nail gently 'til it starts, or poke it through a piece of cardboard to hold it w/ so you won't smash your thumb and/or finger(s).

You can also twist in a row of cup hooks, and either hook the wire/netting directly to it, or slide a small rod or dowel or pipe down through each hole, and hook or wire it into place. That's also a good way to put in supports between posts, or to help keep wire from sagging -- you just 'stitch' it w/ small wire that you can then twist by hand, or w/ pliers.

You can also look around for a T-50 Stapler ... take a fairly hard pull and a bit of pressure onto the surface you're stapling, but that'd be enough to keep the chickens in (but, maybe not enough to keep predators out )-;~

If it's thin metal, like roofing tin or aluminum siding? You can use a small nail to punch a pilot hole, followed by metal screws ...

Also, gates can be hung by wrapping a few loops of wire (coat hangers are about the right size) around the top and bottom to act as hinges/latches.

Quote:
If this is where chickens have odd-looking feet? I'd wait 'til that's under control, in case it turns out to be something infectious/contagious. But, I wouldn't worry too much over trimmin' back on the yard space if they're busy enough and seem to not pick on one another too much (over-crowding can sometimes lead to some really bad behaviors).

Back
Top Bottom