Why do you have Chickens??

We moved to the country... I didn't want to... so I made a joke I might as well start raising live stock. Thus I threatened to get chickens, he dared me pretty much... wanted to see how far I'd go!

Now we have silkies and I'm in LOVE!!!!

I've even got him so into them, he'll sit out and feed them with my daughter and he started an orchard!

We've gone COUNTRY!
gig.gif

For eggs and pets. I love all animals and I missed having chickens around. My grandparents had them when I was a kid and I just loved looking at them and throwing them food. Having my little flock makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....and excited to have nummy nummy eggs in a few months.

I love birds and I just bought a house a year ago and have finally gotten settled in so I thought I'd get some chickens because they're less trouble than parakeets and they stay outside
big_smile.png
. And they're fun to watch. I've now sucked one of my coworkers into the chicken world and have convinced her that she needs a couple egg layers and a silkie for entertainment.

Why? Why not? We moved to the country for the Kids.
Daughter rides horses so we put in a barn etc...
We have two rabbits,a Australian Sheppard,St Bernard,two full size horses and a mini.Soon we should have 5-6 chicks to raise for the eggs.Just thought it would be neat to go out to the coop and get fresh eggs.
big_smile.png

All in my own backyard,Ontario, Canada.
smile.png

We got 6 chickens for eggs. Then we watched Chicken TV. And bought 6 more chicks, and then 4 more and 4 more and then 2 turkeys. Now we are moving to an area where we can have 99.
hide.gif

I watched a show of Get Fresh with Sara Snow and she interviewed a family in NYC that had chickens, and were allowed to keep as many as they could keep clean and take care of them. I thought if they could do it in their small yard and in a big city we could. Unfortunately they are illegal here but we got 3 chicks anyways. We wanted them for fresh eggs, and use their poop for fertilization. I never knew there where so many breeds and that made me want some more. I would like to change the ordinance so we can get more breeds!

My fondest child hood memories were feeding my grandparents chickens.

I sit in front of a computer 10 hours a day (tech and finance). Chickens dumb down my life (in a good way.)

For me its getting back to the basics. I also have a 20K gal koi pond with 60+ Koi but thier eggs don't taste as good.
tongue.png

Don

First post here. Love the site.

I have medical condition called ulcertive colitis (inflamation of the colon). I have been controling/ healing myself through natural methods. I had been unable to eat eggs for a while because they bothered me. Through a lot of trial and error, I was able to pin point that store bought eggs bothered me but fresh eggs from my Aunt's farm did not. I pretty sure everyone on this site can guess why that is....commerical egg production is far from natural.

I started off with 4 chicks all different breeds and I am building my chicken tractor this weekend. I have too many predators to let them free range.

I also got them for my 3 year old daughter as pets/responsiblity. She has named them all and tells everyone that she is thier mommy.

And my inner farmer was calling to me. My grandparents were cattle farmers and always had chickens.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'm new so to speak to the chicken thing too. I started about a year ago, raising my first baby barred rocks. What got me started? I live in tiny farming town and it seems everyone has chickens, and I nieghbor of mine, I knew would bring by some eggs now and then. I had the thought in the back of my head to get some of my own someday, sounded fun. One day in the farm store, asked about them and they said when they got them in they would call. Well, 2-3 months went by and I had almost put the thought of my head, then the farm store calls one day and says your 6 chicks are in and I needed to come pick them up. I didn't recall asking for 6 of them, but I guess some one did. So I call my hubby and said, "so what do you think? Should I go get them?" he said "I guess." I bought feed, waterer, feeder, a heating lamp and my six little pullet chicks.........and the rest is history. I did my research online, found out as much as I could about raising them and My experience went very well. I almost couldn't wait to get a few more this year and of course another great experience and I'm loving all my gorgeous eggs and beautiful new friends. I find it a hobby for me, and gives me something to do that I enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom