Why do you have Chickens??

countrygirlatheart

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Huffman Texas
I guess this spot would be the place for this
hu.gif
.....After looking at all the newewest members (WOW!!
ya.gif
) that have come aboard, that has got me to thinking.....WHY are you raising chickens and what prompted you to do it? My family, it was for fresh eggs & meat (if we can do that) and to save $$. Someone in our family has always had chickens, so I've been around them most of my life, but I had noticed a newbie whose 57 (I think that's what they said) and hadn't been around them since they were 9 and others that have never had them but wanted to raise them.

So here's the question..........WHY?? Was there something that "prompted" you to do this?

Sitting here waiting for answers
pop.gif

Hi,
welcome-byc.gif
! I noticed, too, that we are growing so fast! I have always liked chickens, but we are really just getting started-I have 2 4-week-old Silkies, and my first egg pipped this morning out of the next batch of 7! We got them for eggs,because they are pretty, and they make great pets!
thumbsup.gif

We have had an absolute blast with ours. Should have done it sooner but my DH finally decided with "how things were going" nowdays, that we need to really start pushing ourselves to be more "self-sufficent".
idunno.gif
If that's the reason it takes for me to have chickens....no problem.
thumbsup.gif

It started out as something for my kids because I hadn't had any chickens around for a long time. It kind of took off from there since my son really enjoyed watching them grow. So, now we're up to about thirty birds. No one in my family has bought eggs for a long time now , so my son and I end up starting a few chicks every year now.Plus it's just fun to watch the chickens chase japanese beetles in the summer.

I like them! I'm not even that much of an egg eater, but I love watching my chickens. After a hard day at work it's fun to come home & laugh at their antics.
Like most pets--and I do consider them pets--they ask so little & give so much. And people are so thrilled to get fresh eggs too!

I started because of my three year old. We didn't have anything to call ours. My oldest is my soccer/football player. We spend our time talking sports. When my youngest took a liking to collecting eggs for my dad, I got some chickens and wow! Never knew a 3yr. old could be such a good little farmer, but he always reminds me to feed the chicks and get the eggs (from my dad's). I love the eggs and I enjoy spending time with my kids.

Back
Top Bottom