Why do YOU have quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Celtic Hill, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Just wondering why you guys have quail? What do you do with them?

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I sell the meat and the eggs

3. neb

neb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    South Africa
  4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I eat eggs & meat.

5. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Do they taste good? both meat and eggs?

6. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    Well, I started out with a dozen to begin with, just because I thought they were neat. Nine hens and three roos. I figured I'd pickle the eggs, cuz I love them. [​IMG] And then.....I inherited an incubator....so I figured, well, I LOVE DOVE...I'm out there everyday during dove season trying to get my limit. Figured if I love the taste of dove....quail's gotta be good too. So I started hatching out my eggs. The first batch I kept the hens to replace some of my older ones....and we processed the roos. Haven't tried them out yet, they're in the freezer. Only had 10 males that first hatch.
    I have 27 from my second hatching that are 4 weeks now....giving them another 2-3 weeks, then they go to the freezer. Going into lockdown with 50 more tomorrow. I do have to keep myself distant from the groups going to the freezer...and I can't do the killing, I admit. I let my BF and his dad do that, but I do the rest. I handle all the feeding, watering, and cage-cleaning myself. I just remember they're not pets. I DO, however, pet on my breeders. They are spoiled....I enjoy taking care of all of them...they are beautiful, and just fun to watch. So I guess I get to enjoy all the benefits there are with owning quail. Beautiful birds, delicious eggs, and I'm sure great-tasting meat. (I'll know for myself in a couple weeks)

Now, my question for you....Do you have quails?? If not....wanna try some? [​IMG]

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I started out with a little Japanese Pharaoh Coturnix tossed at me in avian embryology lab [​IMG] That little guy is still with me today along with hundreds of others. I am a color fanatic and sell hatching eggs, live birds on occasion (more so with button quail with live birds).

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The eggs & meat are delicious, but the eggs have a THICK membrane,so cracking open the eggs takes a little more time, & if you crack them over the frying pan, by the time you get all of the eggs in, the first ones are done.

9. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:just started with Coturnix but primarily i have them for pets and colors . i've always been fascinated with that aspect of birds..in the past i've had Lahore pigeons ,Budgies and Zebra Finches...all because i love the colors...LOL [​IMG]

10. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Give each egg stab will sharp end of knife, it will open then just like chicken egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by