Why do you keep chickens?

• Meat

Votes: 32 23.7%
  • Eggs

Votes: 112 83.0%
  • Pets

Votes: 108 80.0%

• Total voters
We keep chickens as pets first, garden second and eggs last. The corner our henhouse is in is really buggy so they're our first line of defense! I've always adored birds and missed having them. I used to breed Zebra Finches. Our garden is our shared delight so the more bug patrol and compost from our hens the better! But mostly I love my birdies!

I grew up on a farm with chickens, ducks, cows and horses. I showed horses from 9yrs old until I was 21 and had to move out of state to attend graduate school. All those years of farm work and riding took a toll on my body. Most days my 42 year old body feels 82. Four years ago I realized I can't physically do the horse-thing anymore and sold them. I just didn't feel right not having animals to take care of, so I decided to get chickens. I am so glad I did! They are an easy pet to take care of and are so much fun with virtually no physical labor. Just like UrbnGardenPeeps they are pets first, garden keepers second, and eggs third. I call them "pets with benefits"!

I raise hens for the eggs. And, I must say, they are a great conversation starter. People always ask "Do they lay eggs?" I remember asking the same question of a gal years ago when I discovered she had backyard chickens. Seems funny to me now......

Of course they are pets too..... I just love saying "I'm going to check my Chickens."

Entertainment for sure
keeping the yard clear of weeds
Eggsies... :drool

I will always have a few "rescues" Love roosters and on 18 acres I can do pretty much what I want. Lots of pets... who will get names and their own coop.

Will be raising dual purpose birds as well. and learning how to process for meat. My place has iffy power so most will go into the pressure canner.

Same goes for Guinea Fowl. Good buggers Good intruder alarm Silly silly antics... Feathers for art. Eggs you can play baseball with..... :lau (have to crack them with the back of a Knife)

deb

My brother has kept about a flock of about dozen hens for a few years, and my kids always enjoy interacting with them when we visit. After some discussion, we got our first chicks in March. We live in the suburbs and decided that a flock of three would fit nicely into our back yard. We decided that it would be good for the kids to learn to care for something other than dogs, and to learn the value of livestock. The allure of 10-12 fresh eggs each week also definitely played a role in our decision. Hopefully these girls will start paying rent in the next couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom