Why do you raise quail?

I just bought some jumbo cotornix and some button quail. The buttons will just be for breeding and selling eggs and hatching out more, just sort of for the hobby of it, the cotornix are for eggs mainly.

After these all get hatced Id like to get some Goargia giant bobwhites for meat and eggs. so mainly food production and hobby. and becouse I live inside city limits I can have my few chickens but If I was really tring to work with breeding lines the city would say something, these guys are small enough no one will notice..at least thats the plan.

Quote:
That sounds like a good idea, something i'd do if I lived in the city limits as well!
smile.png
They have a unique call (they the button quails and coturnix) but unless your neighbors or passerbys know what they're hearing they'll just think "hmm pretty sounding bird!"
smile.png
Instead of the characteristic "cock-a-doodle-doooooo!"
smile.png

I can't even put into words what a coturnix call sounds ilke the coturnix got it's name because of its' call they say it sound slike they're saying "Co-tur-nix!" btu to me it sounds like a rusty fence being jiggled haha! It's not a bad sound it's just different and hard to explain. They also peep a lot.

Then the button quails, they have low purring "growls", "peeps", and "wee woo!" <---my male calls a lot, i've decided he's sayign 'Wee woo!" LOL
smile.png

What is the average life span? I've thought about getting some just because I'm curious (I have parakeets, chickens and ducks) and I love birds. I know someone who used to have one quail (don't know the breed) that used to live with her chickens.

Most of the quail live a couple of years, from what I hear. This is my first year with them, though... I'm sure their care has something to do with it, too.
smile.png

Meat! And I love hearin the Bobwhites whistle to me, so I guess there "pets" to in a way...
I also have a button quail, he's a pet.

Last edited:
I've been told hens live 1.5-2 years as egg layign takes a lot out of them. Males can live up to three i've been told however the girl I got my first pair and eggs from, had a male that was 4!

Wow! Thanks for all the kind replies and welcomes, especially my nearest neighbors in Alaska, lol!

I had no idea about quail before ,now I will look into Coturnix, they must be 'round here somewhere....

John

Welcome John! Where in Japan are you?
I am wanting some coturnix mostly because it seems quail fever has struck BYC. There's a thread going by some moms on here who are making bento style lunches for our school kids. So now I'm wanting quail eggs for my son's lunches. That and they're cute!

Back
Top Bottom