Why does it look like my Bobwhite's are getting scalped?

lcw1995

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Marysville Ohio
My Bobwhites look like they are getting scalped. Why, what is causing this, so I can correct it.

They dont have any feathers on their head and they are bloody on their head as well.

THanks,
Cole.

could be your roos are just showing dominance over other roo's it could be your roos just mating the hens mine are in fairly short pens they don,t jump up much here

I would separate anyone with blood on it. If in a colony pen the others will "zero in" on it. Blu kote is your friend... Dr them up and send'em back in the game... Bill

Quote:
It's that time of year. In the deer world, it' calld "the rut".
smile.png

In the deer world, the dominant buck sends the meek on over to the next farm to find him a girlfriend. In your quail pen, the meek don't have that luxuary.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's that time of year. In the deer world, it' calld "the rut".
smile.png

In the deer world, the dominant buck sends the meek on over to the next farm to find him a girlfriend. In your quail pen, the meek don't have that luxuary.

thumbsup.gif
EXACTLY!

ADD IN THE AGE.. IF THEY'RE OLD ENOUGH TO START MAKING THE COLOR CHANGE THE LADS ARE OLD ENOUGH TO FEEL THAT ITCH... BUT THE LASSES ARENT... WHEN THEY RUN OR OTHERWISE FIDGET TO GET AWAY FROM A ROO'S AFFECTION DAMAGE OCCURS

You didn't say how high the roof is where they are housed. I have seen this problem with button quail . When they startle, they fly straight up and bash their heads. Could be that is the issue.

My A&Ms are in a real tall cage and all the hens heads look like they went a few rounds with Tyson. I pulled up a chair just to watch and see whats going on..... Those cock birds are just straight up violent. I watched him draw blood just trying to do his thing. That is my noob .02

Back
Top Bottom