Why does it look like my Bobwhite's are getting scalped?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lcw1995, May 1, 2011.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    My Bobwhites look like they are getting scalped. Why, what is causing this, so I can correct it.

They dont have any feathers on their head and they are bloody on their head as well.

THanks,
    Cole.

2. allenlighthouse

allenlighthouse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2008
    Lewes, Delaware
    How high is the top of their cage, flighty birds jump when startled, that could be you problem, good luck

Allen

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    could be your roos are just showing dominance over other roo's it could be your roos just mating the hens mine are in fairly short pens they don,t jump up much here

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I would separate anyone with blood on it. If in a colony pen the others will "zero in" on it. Blu kote is your friend... Dr them up and send'em back in the game... Bill

5. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    Mine dont jump much either but ok. Ill try separating.
    Thanks,
    Cole.

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:It's that time of year. In the deer world, it' calld "the rut". [​IMG]
    In the deer world, the dominant buck sends the meek on over to the next farm to find him a girlfriend. In your quail pen, the meek don't have that luxuary.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  7. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    Ok, but they are just now old enough for me to tell the sex of them...

Cole.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:It's that time of year. In the deer world, it' calld "the rut". [​IMG]
    In the deer world, the dominant buck sends the meek on over to the next farm to find him a girlfriend. In your quail pen, the meek don't have that luxuary.

[​IMG] EXACTLY!

ADD IN THE AGE.. IF THEY'RE OLD ENOUGH TO START MAKING THE COLOR CHANGE THE LADS ARE OLD ENOUGH TO FEEL THAT ITCH... BUT THE LASSES ARENT... WHEN THEY RUN OR OTHERWISE FIDGET TO GET AWAY FROM A ROO'S AFFECTION DAMAGE OCCURS

9. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    You didn't say how high the roof is where they are housed. I have seen this problem with button quail . When they startle, they fly straight up and bash their heads. Could be that is the issue.

10. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    My A&Ms are in a real tall cage and all the hens heads look like they went a few rounds with Tyson. I pulled up a chair just to watch and see whats going on..... Those cock birds are just straight up violent. I watched him draw blood just trying to do his thing. That is my noob .02

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by