Why does my pullet have hackle and saddle feathers?

Oh if it helps for some reason she has like basically no tail right now. She hasn’t lost them from being picked on, I haven’t seen her pulling them out, she just lost them. Hotel is growing back a bi oh if it helps for some reason she has like basically no tail right now. She hasn’t lost them from being picked on, I haven’t seen her pulling them out, she just lost them. Her tail is growing Back a bit. It looks weird, it doesn’t look like a roosters tail just looks weird and uneven and I’m seeing different colours and patterns on her tail that I’ve never seen on her before.

Here is here older again. You can start to see the hackle feathers coming up. (And waddles) Shes about 9 weeks here.View attachment 2240953
And older...View attachment 2240956
The hackle feathers are much clearer now but it’s a bad photo.
View attachment 2240957
And another...this is her now...
View attachment 2240958
You can see her hackle feathers clearer in this photo.
View attachment 2240959
That’s a cockerel

Why don't you just keep him?
He hasn't crowed yet and whenever he decides to try out his vocal cords, you can band his neck. Research it, because it is a thing then, perhaps you can keep him and call him "Popper".
See, I would love to keep him, even with the crowing, but I am absolutely NOT allowed roosters. It’s illegal. If it were legal I would have a rooster, but if I tried I might get a fine. I’m good friends with all of my neighbours, but I wouldn’t expect them to put up with it. So I have to rehome him. I might be able to keep him until he crows, i’m in lockdown anyway. I do need to plan where he goes though, because for example, if I leave it to the last minute and he’s crowing, I might get told by the council that I have to get rid of him extremely quickly, and I might not be able to find a good home for him. I’ll call and ask the guy I got him from if he will take him back.

Even if the banding thing worked, I know it can, I don’t think I’m allowed a rooster, even if you did did not really Crow, I think I’d be in trouble with the council. I’m not even sure if getting a permit would work, and they also cost like $300 a year, and I’m not even getting pocket money lol.

See, I would love to keep him, even with the crowing, but I am absolutely NOT allowed roosters. It’s illegal. If it were legal I would have a rooster, but if I tried I might get a fine. I’m good friends with all of my neighbours, but I wouldn’t expect them to put up with it. So I have to rehome him. I might be able to keep him until he crows, i’m in lockdown anyway. I do need to plan where he goes though, because for example, if I leave it to the last minute and he’s crowing, I might get told by the council that I have to get rid of him extremely quickly, and I might not be able to find a good home for him. I’ll call and ask the guy I got him from if he will take him back.
Check out that throat band too in the meantime.

Poppy turned out gorgeous and found an amazing home.

We even have 2 of his sons that we hatched... Sadly no hens... He's chilling on a farm now with a harem of 8 😂

Cant believe I didn't know he was a he, however he was my first ever cockerel, slow maturing, and I thought he was sexed.

He started crowing a month or two after this thread. I loved hearing it, just not at 4am.

I miss my sweet boy 🥺

Thank you for the update. I also recently rehomed a cockerel who was supposed to be a pullet. Like you, I found a local farm for him. Amusingly, I just picked up his replacement and named her--wait for it--Poppy!
Poppy.jpg

Lovely new hen. I'm so glad you found your other Poppy (Poppo...?) a good home! :ya

Just for future reference, I don't like throat bands/cock collars. They are dangerous, uncomfortable, restrict breathing.... and barely quieten the crow.

Back
Top Bottom