Why does my Quail Chick crop not go away?

ham_witch

Hatching
Mar 5, 2024
My chicks has a crop well I think it does. Every time I feed it it grows like a balloon. We don't feed it for a while so it goes then when we feed it, balloon. Cycle never ends. We give a massive dish of water which I see it drinking very regularly. I feed my chicks egg yolk. It's 10 days old. Hell?

It's definitely food, it's hard at the core and sometimes looks really bad, and when it is the chick hides in a corner and seems down. Btw it's a quail chick thorfot to specify.

Attachments

• PXL_20240305_220656811.jpg
    PXL_20240305_220656811.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20240305_220700675.jpg
    PXL_20240305_220700675.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20240305_220655814.jpg
    PXL_20240305_220655814.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 7
It's definitely food, it's hard at the core and sometimes looks really bad, and when it is the chick hides in a corner and seems down. Btw it's a quail chick thorfot to specify.
Wish I could help! Raised a couple thousand quail and never seen that.

Wish I could help! Raised a couple thousand quail and never seen that.

That does not look like a ten day old chick. What are you feeding it? Do its hatchmates look similar or have a similar issue?
I agree to me it looks more like 2-4 day old

also that chick fuzz with how like spread out it is kinda worrying to me but maybe that’s just me I’ve just had some that looked like that failure to thrive

Did you buy it or hatch it?
what do you feed?
What type of heating do you use?

That does not look like a ten day old chick. What are you feeding it? Do its hatchmates look similar or have a similar issue?
It's 10 days old and it's a part of a bad hatch I had. 2 hatched and one died so I just have her/him left, but yes she is clearly under grown due to us needing to not give her food properly as we don't want her to litrelly explode. I feed it boiled egg yolk and a bit of baby quail feed. I keep her under the radiator and frequently check temp. Around 32 degrees but its lowered to 30 now as the weather's gone a bit colder

Back
Top Bottom