Why does my rabbits pee look like this

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
Hi, my rabbit is a year old and has been peeing this weird looking sandy stuff. I think it might be bladder sludge, because this is not the first time she has peed this sandy stuff. I read that if you take calcium out of there diet that it will solve the problem, but I also read that it does not work. What I'm wondering is does this look like bladder sludge. And what can I do to help her. Her diet is made up of unlimited Timothy hay, pellets and veggies every other day. Her veggies are usually Romain lettuce, celery, kale, and cilantro.
20190618_091512.jpg

Last edited:
Are you able to call and ask a Vet?
Have you tried stopping all "treats" just feeding pellets?
Reason I say that is as we all do, love to treat our animals whereas the commercial feed we purchase has all the nutrition they need. When feeding treats, we off set the nutrition balance. Learned that with my chickens and now treats are very limited.

Sorry I'm not much help :hugs Hopefully someone will have the answer you need :fl
You might want to post in the Emergencies, Disease, Injury & Cure forum also, may get more response.

It’s a metabolic problem, changing the diet may make it worse.
If the rabbit gets less calcium it may start drawing calcium from its bones to meet its calcium needs.

Here’s some info I found off this website on treatment https://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/blog/bladder-sludge-in-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs/
What can I do to prevent/treat bladder sludge?
  1. Increase water intake. An increase in water consumption dilutes the urine and helps prevent the formation of stones, while also helping flush out the kidneys to reduce stress. Make sure both a bottle and tip-proof water dish are available at all times to encourage drinking. Include these vessels in both the habitat and any other areas where they exercise or explore throughout the day. It is also important to ensure all bottles are properly positioned and functioning properly. Replace with fresh water no less than every other day.
  2. More exercise. Get your pets up and moving! The more your rabbit or guinea pig moves, the more they shake up the contents of their bladder. This moves the high calcium urinary sediment around, helping prevent stone formation. Movement may also stimulate a desire to empty the bladder more regularly.
  3. Improve sanitary conditions and enclosure. Use a high-quality, absorbent bedding that wicks urine and other fluids away. A clean enclosure will promote healthy urination and keep things moving to prevent stone formation. At minimum, spot clean enclosures every other day and deep clean once a week. If possible, provide a multi-level enclosure, or one that promotes movement. This will help increase activity (see #2).
  4. Increase fresh green intake to upwards of 15-20% of their diet. Be sure to do this slowly and monitor your animal to ensure they are tolerating the dietary change. Really focus on the low calcium greens (http://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/) with smaller amounts of veggies and even less fruit. The fresh greens can increase water intake (see #1) as well as provide vitamins, minerals (other than calcium), and phytonutrients to promote a healthy and properly functioning urinary tract.
  5. Eliminate packaged treats. Packaged treats provide concentrated little nuggets of nutrients, which may not be beneficial for animals with bladder sludge. The increase in greens (above) will be their new treat.
  6. Offer a variety of grass hays and eliminate alfalfa from the diet. Alfalfa hay is great for some animals; however, it contains much higher concentrations of calcium and may exacerbate bladder stone issues in some animals. Rotating your grass hay offering will also provide some enrichment and discourages picky eating by keeping your pet excited about their hay.
  7. Offer a grass hay-based pellet at recommended daily feeding amounts. You can also consult with your veterinarian to see if reducing the amount of offered pellets may be right for your animal. Reducing the volume of pellets and offering an increase of loose grass hay and greens will dilute dietary mineral concentrations and may help reduce strain on the kidneys.
  8. Offer Oxbow’s Natural Science Urinary Support Supplement. This highly-palatable supplement provides herbs that support normal urinary function/health. This supplement contains:
  • Glucosamine (plant-based) to support the replenishment of mucous that lines and protects the bladder.
  • Marshmallow root and dandelion leaf which are natural diuretics to reduce water retention and promote urination.
  • Astragalus root which acts as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant to protect kidneys from oxidative damage and support renal function.
  • Cranberry which is an antimicrobial that helps prevent urinary tract infections.
  • Pumpkin seed to help relieve spasms and cramping from urinary disorders.
In some cases, you cannot prevent the development of bladder sludge. However, implementing some of the above actions can help to reduce your animal’s chance of stones or provide relief to an animal with stones.

Back
Top Bottom