Why dont people want pet roosters?

They are not all aggressive,and tehre some roosters who are very tamed....

this is similar to stating that

i'm also a teenager but i'm not as wreckless as other teen drivers

i'm sure there are

but being a male and a teen a few years ago.. my insurance premium is a lot higher compare to the female teen drivers

and there's nothing going to change that.. that's just how it is

the same for roosters.. all the cities around here will not allow them

if you want them move to county land or rural areas

since most cities have noise ordinances-- the right of people to sleep in peace --especially for those who work evening/graveyard shift..

sunrise is around 5:15AM here.. and if you just lie down to sleep at 2-3AM ..then some rooster...

the police do not like coming to the same house for noise complaint over and over..

instead of your rooster you might also have to remove your hens too.. so why bother?

aggressive and noisy while giving you NO eggs.

which is the reason why it's illegal to own one in all the cities around here

They are not all aggressive,and tehre some roosters who are very tamed....

This is very true, I have some roosters that are as tame as my hens, heck they are tamer than some of my hens even... Blanket statements about how they act or their personality simply don't apply to all...

Yeah they make some noise, but it's not overly noisy nothing that disturbs me in the least, my guineas and peafowl produce far higher volumes of noise...

Being zoned for agricultural use I'm also exempt from noise ordinances as long as they are related to agricultural activities, so no concerns there for me...

the right of people to sleep in peace

Never heard of such a right, in my area there are noise level restrictions between the hours of 9PM and 6AM in residential areas but there is certainly no right to peaceful sleep for people like me that don't sleep during those limited hours...

On the topic, when I lived in a residential area I can state with certainly that I would have rather my neighbors had roosters vs their herd of rodent dogs that carried on like a circus act all day long as people walked down the sidewalk as I was trying to sleep...

That said to the OP, to answer your own question why don't you ask yourself why you don't keep all the roosters you hatch, chances are you own answers are inline with why many others also don't keep them...

It could be the risk of them becoming mean,and having to kill them,or the crowing.And some roosters are more "Obnoxious" then others....

I spend relentless time with roosters from the moment I know their boys,not only do I baby them,I make sure they know i'm the boss....
IMHO, all the time you put in with your roosters could be spent on more productive ends, not to mention, what you do can quite likely make them worse characters than they otherwise would be. Familiarity does indeed breed contempt when dealing with roosters.

I have had a couple "hens" turn out to be "roosters," and I would have kept them if it weren't for the neighbors. Roosters are illegal within city limits, and one of our next door neighbors is the epitome of a busybody.. She reported me to the city when I had a hen crow once! Neighbors like that make me glad that I keep my coop within the letter of the local laws.

The city fellow came by, saw that everything was in order, and went on his way. But some of us really can't "sneak" a rooster in, and the silencing neckbands can potentially strangle them, or just not work.

As a vegetarian, you could purchase pre-sexed chicks, as some others have suggested?

The male chicks are still killed, but it's at the point of hatching instead of later, after you've gotten attached.

Or you can rescue egg laying factory culls, that would otherwise be euthanized? You're saving lives, getting eggs, and not contributing to animal death?

(I'm not a vegetarian; I'm just trying to think of what you would be wanting.)

Quote: I don't usually buy chicks though, I breed them, or get them from friends. I live in Tasmania and I haven't heard of anywhere to get pre-sexed chicks.
Quote: My roosters always seem to be tame, and I find them good homes where they can crow all they want.

IMHO, all the time you put in with your roosters could be spent on more productive ends, not to mention, what you do can quite likely make them worse characters than they otherwise would be. Familiarity does indeed breed contempt when dealing with roosters.
I have heard of this,but I am not choosing to stop.I have heard of several roosters being treated like I do mine,and turn out great...

Never heard of such a right, in my area there are noise level restrictions between the hours of 9PM and 6AM in residential areas but there is certainly no right to peaceful sleep for people like me that don't sleep during those limited hours...

On the topic, when I lived in a residential area I can state with certainly that I would have rather my neighbors had roosters vs their herd of rodent dogs that carried on like a circus act all day long as people walked down the sidewalk as I was trying to sleep...

That said to the OP, to answer your own question why don't you ask yourself why you don't keep all the roosters you hatch, chances are you own answers are inline with why many others also don't keep them...

now you do

the time frame they set is often for those with permits.. the city or contractors doing construction or repair works..

barking dog, noises from gatherings, etc.. doesn't matter the time.. all illegal

these laws to prevent people to cause noise disturbances just because they want to or because they think they can ..

not everyone work 8-5 m-f schedule..

unless it's some national holidays-- if you have some party at your house and the noise can be heard 2-3 houses down.. the police will arrive within 15-30 minutes

the police department does not like coming back to the same place again and again for the same noise complaint

remember.. you got state law, then city and then community.. some HOAs will also govern over noise

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/phoenix.htm
https://www.phoenix.gov/police/neighborhood-resources/loud-party-ordinance/faq

Last edited:
the time frame they set is often for those with permits.. the city or contractors doing construction or repair works..

barking dog, noises from gatherings, etc..  doesn't matter the time.. all illegal

You can't make blanket statements like that, it fully depends on the area, type and volume of noise and the laws that govern your specific area... Illinois has a complicated acceptable noise level scheme and the level has to be taken at least 25 feet away from the property line and in most cases a decent volume of noise is still perfectly legal even if it annoys the neighbor...

these laws to prevent people to cause noise disturbances just because they want to or because they think they can ..

On the flip side, because they know they legally can allow/cause that noise even if others think you can't make that noise... For example I don't give two hoots if the gated 55 and over retirement community across the street doesn't like my roosters, peafowl or guinea fowl noise as my zoning is exempt from the law under the agricultural exemption in the noise ordinance law...

remember.. you got state law, then city and then community..  some HOAs will also govern over nois

And remember the laws that apply to you and your area are not universal, and the difference can be a short distance for example the laws that apply across the street from me don't apply to me even if the people that live there believe they do and attempt to enforce them upon me...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom