Why hasn't anyone written a Cornish X page? Forget it. I'll will!!!

Quote:
What depleted soils are you talking about? The ground that we farm has greater OM now than it did when we started farming, plus the fertility profile, microbial population, and earthwork activity are greate now than when my Grandfather was responsible for the farm.

I'm sure he was talking about urban sprawl. You know, the concrete jungle? Of course, I don't know where we are going to put everyone without it... The human population seems to be growing almost as fast as many of our chicken flocks
lol.png
I'm running out of room too
tongue.png

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
What depleted soils are you talking about? The ground that we farm has greater OM now than it did when we started farming, plus the fertility profile, microbial population, and earthwork activity are greate now than when my Grandfather was responsible for the farm.

My entire post was merely refering to the mantra of the self appointed elite in the form of questions. The inferance that the soil, animal husbandry, chemistry and physics, etc. scientists at the world Universities and industry leaders are all wrong. That all peoples can be self sufficient if only they returned to the simple life by raising their own food and fiber on a common little plot of land and not relying on mega farms or industry by banning all man made products. Thereby returning the proclaimed unsustainable monoculture cultivated sterile lands to the original state. A model quite similar to the rise and then calapse of the highly developed and civilized Aztec and Inca empires that supported populations into the millions and the rise of the slash and burn and hunter/ gather cultures of the Amazon, South and Central American tribes of today that only supports a few dozen individuals per location comes to mind.​

A couple pages ago, I was accused of hijacking my own thread
hmm.png

But we have gone COMPLETELY off-topic with sustainable ways....

I asked for clarification if a CORNISH CROSS/HYBRID could be sustainable. Some say yes, with a bunch of work you can get something close. You may loose a little here and there but the bird is so huge right now that loosing a little may actually benefit the bird.
Some say no, you can't breed CORNISH CROSS/HYBRID birds. You don't know what you'll end up with because of the secret breeding line that they possess.

I'm still reading up on genetics. The whole GP2 stuff.... Most of what is on the net is over my head. I need to find a 5th grade version. Maybe a 4Her out there has some basic, elementary info for me???

(Now, lets all get every man, woman, and child out there plowing with a horse and living off the land
roll.png
)

I'm confused about these Cobb broiler chickens and just what's involved in getting them to a decent size ( >8 lbs ). The estimated times in this thread to accomplish this seem to be all over the place.

According to the Cobb700 brochure, you can grow out these birds (under optimal conditions) to 8.169 lbs in 61 days, which is just under 9 weeks. I'm curious how it was concluded these birds needed a half a year (26 weeks) to achieve this weight. . .

By the way, it IS possible to buy fertilized eggs of the Cobb700. You just wouldn't grow them out as breeding stock; you'd grow them as broilers.

What *I'M* curious about is how long it would take these Cobb700's to reach the same size (8 to 9 lbs) if they're raised organically, grass-fed and free-range. . . .

John

Last edited:
Quote:
Cornish Crosses, including the Cobb broiler, can be grown to eight pounds in under nine weeks. A plain Cornish (no cross) will take months to reach that weight.

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

What *I'M* curious about is how long it would take these Cobb700's to reach the same size (8 to 9 lbs) if they're raised organically, grass-fed and free-range. . . .

Any ideas?

John

P.S. Great to see other folks on here from Maine

I'm going to very gently wade into this.

If the word "breed" is such an issue, than how about "Cornish crossed varities", which acknologes that there's some variations, but that the variations are moot for the purposes of the page? You could even footnote that there is no APA standard for them, and they are non-showable meaties.

Quote:
I totally agree. Whats wrong with having a page for the most common type of chicken. I know I would love others input especially for my 4H group which uses the Cornish X

Last edited:
P.S. Great to see other folks on here from Maine

blueseal (another BYC member) is just down the road in Warren, but I haven't noticed him in meat bird forums.

Sorry, I don't know the answer about the foraging. But, I do know that the Cornish Crosses will be quite disappointed that the food doesn't just appear in front of them.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom