Why hasn't anyone written a Cornish X page? Forget it. I'll will!!!

That is what I felt but while it is a true breed (exists), it doesn't breed true. And I think that is where all the arguing happens. Many feel since it can't breed and reproduce it's own, it can't be called a breed. That is where the "cross", "hybrid", "mess of chicks" comes in.

If you AI a Cornish X hen with the seed of a Cornish X roo, you never know what you will get. 1 out of 50 may resemble the parents, but the rest are going to be a rock or cornish.

If you read the page I posted, I wrote alittle bit about the bloodline (G2 blah, blah, blah) on how this bird is created.

Well
I dont know allot about chickens but i did read un Mcmurry that
When u cross a cornish cockeral to a white rock hen u get the yummy cornish x rocks.
But it also states that the cornish x rocks should not be bread do to the fackt that they arnt as yummy for the next generation.if that makes sence at all.
but i see what your originally saying why arent they a breed is it because they dont carry the lineage the way other breeds do?? Good question??
hu.gif

Christopher what I am saying is that if you breed a commercial broiler to a commercial brioler you will get a commercial brioler

that is breeding true.

the commercial broiler is not a F1 cross that is sold. there are many lines developed female line and male lines

For example go th Cobbs web page http://www.cobb-vantress.com/Products/Cobb500.aspx there producs are all different line of briolers and by using the lines you still get commercial briolers. Just like if I was to take the female line of cochin from breeder A and breed them to a male line from breeder B, I still have cochins and it is no difference with the commercial brioler.

If you took a cornish crossed it with a white rock you don't have anything that looks or perfomes like the the commercal bird either. So if the commercial broiler that you are buying is not breeding true how did we get to where we are with them. And if they are crosses or hybrids what ever you want to call them why are good cornish "the foundation stock hard to find"

I'm not a breeder of chickens, but I have bred goats and dogs in the past. It seems to me that NOTHING will breed true for long without the breeder's constant attention. Isn't that how breeds die out?

The big commercial broiler companies maintain lines of birds to breed back and forth with and maintain the production birds that make them the most money. That sounds like the classic line breeding strategy that all breeders of animals have used for centuries. That in my humble opinion constitutes a pure bred bird.

Turkens (by the way) are actually naked neck chickens, and they are a true breed. Frizzle is a feather shape that can occur in any pure breed, from cochin to Rhode Island Red.

Quote:
It is my understanding that the commercial breeders of Cornish Cross broilers keep four grandparent lines for use in generating the Cornish Crosses that arrive in our grocery stores. These lines may have originated with Cornish and Rocks, but they no longer are what you would say match the APA standard. The lines have been refined and maintained for decades now and are likely beyond the time and resources individuals have.

These lines are not offered to the public because there is big money in keeping them "company secrets". Four big companies provide a large percentage of the world's meat chicken supply.

Last edited:
Quote:
I guess I don't know enough yet to say one way or the other. Jeff thinks he can get close in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=282259

But
everything I have read to date, states that they will not breed true. They are a cross between 2 breeds, cornish and rocks, to get the fertile eggs that the hatchery incubate to sell to us for under a buck.

I've had some older Cornish X's before and in all honesty I never saw them even attempt breed. I don't think it's in their nature. (or they are just too good tasting for me to wait long enough to let it happen
lol.png
)

spangledcornish,

I was reading up on the Cobb birds over lunch today (chicken noodle soup) and I think we are not comparing apples to apples.

The Cornish X hybrid mutts that we are talking about get up to 10 lbs in 12 weeks. Fast, efficient, large meat birds.

The Cobb 500's female body weight at 24 weeks is 6 1/2 pounds, in 65 weeks they are only 8 3/4 pounds. The Cobb 700 is slightly less than the 500.

For comparison's sake, a dual purpose bird like a Buckeye, Buff Orpington, etc (heavy breeds) can achieve the cob 500 weight of 6 1/2 pounds in 24 weeks too.

The Cobb birds do breed true, but they are not the same birds that Tyson Inc, Hubbard, etc use to fill grocers freezers. Nor am I going to raise a bird for over a year just to get a 9 pound bird when I can do it in 10 weeks.

Hope that makes sense and I hope my findings are correct.

We have a hatchery Cornish what ever you choose to call it it's fine with me..He's turkey size and a year old...he was turkey size at a few weeks old too.He's very strong in his legs roosts on anything he can find...no weakness there.He survived a real hot summer no heart attack and now as I type he's outside running around in 0degree wind chills.He will breed every hen that is stupid enough to fly into the bachelor pad that he lives in but he does not crow.He is very rough on the girls though but he's a big boy.Trust me this guy doesn't need AI to get the job done.Dispelled about every myth out there on them with one little ol rooster
idunno.gif

I think someone screwed up and bred one with good genes in there...or have they just convinced the people that's the way it is in order to sell them as disposable chickens?
I'm not going to breed him to any more of the Cornish X's because I don't have any but to my Delaware's in an attempt to get a pretty fast meat bird that I don't have to buy.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
The Cobb 500 and 700 ARE infact the birds you find in your Grocery Stores. These birds are harvested at a lower weight tha is commonly bantied about on these threads.

Jim

While that is the impression I get from Cobb's site information. I must ask WHY? Why would you raise a bird that takes that long to develop a marketable size??

If they bought Cornish X's, they could do 6 harvests in a year. With these 500's, you only get a couple a year
hmm.png
Doesn't really make much sense to me.​

Back
Top Bottom