Why hasn't anyone written a Cornish X page? Forget it. I'll will!!!

Quote:
First of all there is no such thing as a Cornish X, it is a hold over from the original crosses decades ago. The so-called "cornish x" sold through hatcheries are birds produced from Cobb-Vantress, Hubbard, and other commercial breeding lines.

What do you consider marketable weight? I'd say a 6.5 lb bird in 48 days qualifies as a marketable bird.

The commercial farms don't raise the 9 lb behemoths that you and I regularly have in our "cornish x" groups.

Jim

Quote:
You are comparing apples (parents) to oranges (hybrid offspring)!

6.5 lb females are the parents of the commercial broilers. Due to the hybrid vigor the off spring will outperform the parents.

I seed corn the parents may yield 50 to 100 bushel per acre, but when the offspring are planted in the same field the yield will be well over 200 bushel per acre.

Jim

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
You are comparing apples (parents) to oranges (hybrid offspring)!

6.5 lb females are the parents of the commercial broilers. Due to the hybrid vigor the off spring will outperform the parents.

I seed corn the parents may yield 50 to 100 bushel per acre, but when the offspring are planted in the same field the yield will be well over 200 bushel per acre.

Jim

Ok Jim. You're saying that Cobb sells the parent stock, not the hybrid chicks. Right? If so, NOW I see what your getting at.​

Quote:
You posted the correct information for the PARENT. The commercial offspring from those hens will be 6.5 lb in 48 days. You need to look at Cobb 500 Broiler Performance And Nutrition Supplement for the expected performance for the commercial birds that are harvested for consumption.

http://www.cobb-vantress.com/contactus/brochures/Cobb500_BPN_Supp

Jim

Last edited:
There are four grandparent lines for the X. The offspring of these lines are sold to hatcheries, which in turn breed those to get the Cornish X.

Each grandparent could be considered a breed, since they breed true and come from Cornish and Rock stock, but they are nothing like the standards for those breeds as has been pointed out.

Quote:
You would take more time to raise a bird -- most likely free ranged on forage -- to get more flavor in the meat. They say the very best chicken for stewing is an old laying hen that's been around long enough to accumulate flavorful meat. The six pound, eight week old chick you get at the store is the equivalent of veal. The meat is tender, the company raised an economical market size bird in a short time on less feed, and everyone saves money. Most people think that's a deal.

I would personally prefer the free range bird. I wait a little longer, I get the meat I like, and the bird eats for nearly free. And I do NOT like the antibiotics that the big companies have to use to keep their fast growing, crowded flocks healthy.

Actually, I believe that's why most of us on this web site want to raise our own.
cool.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Personally, I think the only reason people say that is because they are trying to justify using their old laying hens
lol.png

A person needs to do something with them, don't we??
tongue.png

Quote:
The CX is not a sustainable bird and grows at an unhealthy rate. Plus a slow maturing bird just tastes better, as Possumqueen said. Besides, some of us on this site don't mind chickens hanging around for a bit. Heck, some of us actually LIKE chickens.

Hey, you asked.
lol.png

We need some clarification here.

One person says they are not sustainable and others argue that they are or how else would we get them.

My question of WHY they would raise a bird for 24 weeks to get a marketable bird v/s the 8 weeks it takes me to raise the same size marketable bird was really not geared towards US, but companies like Tyson, Swift, (banquet)..... I understand free-ranging for taste and healthier birds but you can't tell me that factory farms care about anything other than weight. Just like farming corn (as that was an example given already), you plant the variety that yields the most bushels per acre, not the variety that makes the best tasting corn meal. The farmer doesn't care about taste, just yields. Weight=money no matter if we are talking about livestock or crops.

Back to my original question (if you have forgotten what that was, it's ok. We've strayed around a little bit. Just look at the top of the page
lol.png
)
I submitted my page, yet even the powers that be say since Cornish X's are not a breed, I may not get my GFM. I replied and they are reviewing my arguments. As for getting the title changed, only Nifty can do that and he has been notified. Hopefully we can get a separate heading for these little guys that are creating such a stir. Who would have thought that a bird that is sold by the billions, sold by every single hatchery I can think of, and loved/hated by so many would bring us so much to talk about?

Back
Top Bottom