RedfogsFlock

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Wittmann, AZ
Why I
love.gif
my geese !

1. They are the best watch dogs I've ever had!
2. They let me do my thing, and they do theirs. As long as I feed em, water em, supply a pool, & give em treats their good.
3. They don't bother any other birds in our mixed flock!
4. They are funny to watch! Yesterday they got a zuchinni out of the garden and entertained themselves over an hour puttin it in the pool & taking it out!
5. They don't poop as much as the ducks or turkeys!
6. They run funny! It's actually cute to see em run when we open the door and find them out front of the house trying to sneak a snack from our shrubs!

List why you love your geese! Love to hear why!

I just got my first geese last week ( young American Buffs) and I already love them. I agree with everything you listed especially # 2. I like how they pretty much do their own thing and stay in the grass grazing all day and their poop just fertilizes the lawn there, where as the chickens, ducks, and turkeys are right under my feet chasing me around for food and messing everywhere when they should be with the geese eating grass and bugs.

Oh gosh, I've learned to love my geese.

1. They're very silly. They'll run away if I approach, but then come over like they're sneaking up on me and mutter and honk at me.

2. I've "trained" then to go from the indoor pen to the outdoor one and vice versa, but they still forget occasionally and do silly things like run into the fencing near the chickens and then honk at the fence.

3. They peer over the barrier when I'm getting the inside pen ready for them and honk impatiently at me.

4. They honk at me if I touch the chickens. Evidently, my chickens are THEIR chickens.

5. They think the new ducks are pretty cool. We'll see how they all get along.

6. They've goosed the chickens through the fence and thought it was funny.

7. When they run, they slap their feet loudly on the concrete and hold their wings out as if that's going to scare anyone.

8. We hold "conversations" with each other. I have no idea what they're saying.

Originally, I thought the geese were pushy and obnoxious, but I have since learned that they have very funny personalities and are actually quite submissive. I hope they'll let me know if anything comes to bother the chickens. With voices like that, you'd hope so!

I am down to only one gander now...but when I had a pair, they would walk around the yard and pond like they were an old couple taking a stroll in the park..it was so funny.

Back
Top Bottom