Why I love my geese!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by RedfogsFlock, Jul 14, 2010.

1. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Why I [​IMG] my geese !

1. They are the best watch dogs I've ever had!
    2. They let me do my thing, and they do theirs. As long as I feed em, water em, supply a pool, & give em treats their good.
    3. They don't bother any other birds in our mixed flock!
    4. They are funny to watch! Yesterday they got a zuchinni out of the garden and entertained themselves over an hour puttin it in the pool & taking it out!
    5. They don't poop as much as the ducks or turkeys!
    6. They run funny! It's actually cute to see em run when we open the door and find them out front of the house trying to sneak a snack from our shrubs!

List why you love your geese! Love to hear why!

2. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    THEY ARE SOO CUTE!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I just got my first geese last week ( young American Buffs) and I already love them. I agree with everything you listed especially # 2. I like how they pretty much do their own thing and stay in the grass grazing all day and their poop just fertilizes the lawn there, where as the chickens, ducks, and turkeys are right under my feet chasing me around for food and messing everywhere when they should be with the geese eating grass and bugs.

4. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Oh gosh, I've learned to love my geese.

1. They're very silly. They'll run away if I approach, but then come over like they're sneaking up on me and mutter and honk at me.

2. I've "trained" then to go from the indoor pen to the outdoor one and vice versa, but they still forget occasionally and do silly things like run into the fencing near the chickens and then honk at the fence.

3. They peer over the barrier when I'm getting the inside pen ready for them and honk impatiently at me.

4. They honk at me if I touch the chickens. Evidently, my chickens are THEIR chickens.

5. They think the new ducks are pretty cool. We'll see how they all get along.

6. They've goosed the chickens through the fence and thought it was funny.

7. When they run, they slap their feet loudly on the concrete and hold their wings out as if that's going to scare anyone.

8. We hold "conversations" with each other. I have no idea what they're saying.

Originally, I thought the geese were pushy and obnoxious, but I have since learned that they have very funny personalities and are actually quite submissive. I hope they'll let me know if anything comes to bother the chickens. With voices like that, you'd hope so!

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Gosh, this thread really makes me want some geese! (DH, although a very patient and tolerant man, has just about reached his "critter limit". [​IMG] )

6. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Get him a couple of geese. These guys are pretty entertaining.

7. mberry222

mberry222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Kingston, TN
    The way they come running when I hold a banana up in the air!! [​IMG]

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I am down to only one gander now...but when I had a pair, they would walk around the yard and pond like they were an old couple taking a stroll in the park..it was so funny.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I find the lack of photos in this thread disturbing

[​IMG]

10. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Quote:agreed, wifezilla.
    where are the pics?