Why is my chicken crouching when i come?

Why not? Because as prey animals being grabbed generally leads to being eaten. The noises they make when being grabbed are noises of fear.
Why not? I wanna be friendly with chickens for God's sake! (i actually want they be friendly with me)...

Why not? I wanna be friendly with chickens for God's sake! (i actually want they be friendly with me)...
Unconditional treats lol. Not too much of course, but give the treats to them randomly when they don't expect it. They'll learn you're the provider, and run up whenever they see you. Then you can train them to like being held by giving them treats while holding them. Some will be okay with this, some won't.

Birds need to go to you on their own terms, in their own time. If you grab them, they will try to run away. But if you sit quietly with some treats (like mealworms), they will come to you. When they realize that you will not hurt them or grab them, they will eventually come closer and closer.

Mine sit on my lap and sleep while I pet them. Sometimes, they stay for a minute, sometimes for 40 minutes. But I can't make them come to me. They have to want to come on their own.

They will learn if you move slowly, are gentle, and carry good treats!

But how can i make the chickens to not think like that?

You can't make them not be chickens. It's more common for a chicken to not want to be picked up and handled than for a chicken to accept it.

But if you never frighten them and always bring good things to them (mine are NUTS about ordinary garden weeds), they will follow you around and squat at your feet.

I just got home from work, changed, and went to collect eggs. I had 4 of the 5 squatting at my feet as I walked in -- so that I had to do two-handed back petting -- and one of them came back for seconds. #5 doesn't squat for me very often and stands back further even when I have treats in hand.

None of them care to be picked up and petted.

Hi @tiho_prskalo : All of this sounds like normal chicken behavior and there's lots of great advice on here from BYC members for getting your chickens to be more tame.

I suggest, too, searching articles on crouching in the BYC forums, as well as this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/why-are-my-chicks-running-away-from-me.872648/. It also has great advice on how to interact with your chickens to make them more friendly.

Good luck!
Or a thread "how to make a chicken friendly". You do really know the differences in English...

and thank you so much!!! <;D

Unconditional treats lol. Not too much of course, but give the treats to them randomly when they don't expect it. They'll learn you're the provider, and run up whenever they see you. Then you can train them to like being held by giving them treats while holding them. Some will be okay with this, some won't.
"Some will be okay with this, some won't." what do you mean by that? How much treats i do need to give my chickens? More (then how much)?

Back
Top Bottom