Why is my chicken not eating anything apart from the dirt off the ground?

Clucky12

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
Germany
I have a chicken (her name is Seagull) who is not eating anything apart from the dirt off the ground, she usually eats everything, but she is ravenously eating dirt off the ground like it's her last meal! She is not eating her grain and pellets, when she is usually straight in the middle of her food. She had this a while ago, where she wouldn't eat anything but grain, and I don't know what is wrong with her! Please reply, and please help! Thank you!

I have a chicken (her name is Seagull) who is not eating anything apart from the dirt off the ground, she usually eats everything, but she is ravenously eating dirt off the ground like it's her last meal! She is not eating her grain and pellets, when she is usually straight in the middle of her food. She had this a while ago, where she wouldn't eat anything but grain, and I don't know what is wrong with her! Please reply, and please help! Thank you!

One of my girls, Beatrice, pecks hopelessly from the ground despite fresh food being offered. One time she even got a worm!
Are there possibly any bugs she might be looking for? I know my chickens won't give up until they find the bug they've been looking for. Here's to hoping it isn't too serious.

Good luck,
Rachel.
hugs.gif

Maybe she's not getting the nutrients from the ground that she needs. Have you tried other foods? I know mine love pasta, hard egg yolk and dry or runny oatmeal.
If any of mine don't eat, I tried giving them rolled oats and ease them back onto their proper chicken food.

Maybe she's not getting the nutrients from the ground that she needs. Have you tried other foods? I know mine love pasta, hard egg yolk and dry or runny oatmeal.
If any of mine don't eat, I tried giving them rolled oats and ease them back onto their proper chicken food.

Yes I've tried some scraps, and she ate a bit of that, but still not eating the normal pellets, and I will gradually put her onto her normal food again, hopefully it will work!
Thank you!

Also, I have a packet of essential nutrients food, which has a sloppy texture, and has worked when my other chickens weren't eating...maybe I will try that.

Does Seagull have some other source for grit than the dirt? If she's eating grains, and doesn't have any sand or similar to grind them with, she's going to have a hard time digesting it.

No she doesn't have grit very often but neither do my other 19 chickens, and they haven't had any problems!

Back
Top Bottom