Why is my cocci vaccinated hatchery chick pooping blood?? (poop pic)

Has she had a constant supply of Corid water - only Corid water available for the last 40hrs?

You can try giving her a couple of drops Corid by mouth(undiluted) in addition to making the Corid water available.

Thank you for the reply! Yes, she has only had the Corid water available. She drank a little this morning but I will drip some onto her beak to make sure.

Argh - why is it always the favorites?!?(one of my favorite two, out of 15 chickens, just fell over dead one day without warning this spring... I wonder if there is a hormonal thing going on that the more personable chickens get sick more easily? This hen was a lot like a rooster as a chick, always first, always approaching, always on top of the highest perch she could find, not shy, but not mean.)
Yes, I second giving her some Corid directly - she might not be drinking enough to get the full dose into her. Are you using the correct dosage for a severe outbreak?
Treatment might have started too late to save her - but I am glad everyone else looks good!

Wow, I am so sorry you lost her! I guess at least she didn't suffer but that would be hard. It is crazy how much personality they have! I have a bantam quail D'anver who follows me around whenever I am outside and just talks and talks like she is telling me a story, haha. Maybe one day I will crack 'chicken talk'. Pretty sure that will be the day I have officially lost it! :p

I am not sure how to link the forum post but there is a big one titled "Corid and Amprol Dosing" which says:
"The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon."

I checked a few other sites and they were the same so went with that~!

I have been dropping a couple drops onto her beak every hour. Even though I haven't been handling them much for fear they would get sick, she is still really friendly with me (or probably too tired to run) so it wasn't hard.
Anyways, it seems to be working :)! It has now been almost 50 hours since I first treated them and she JUST walked out on her own a few minutes ago and took a long drink and then started pecking her food! I think I can breathe again! I will keep you updated once I know more, but thank you again everyone who helped. I don't think I can put it into words how happy this little chick has made me just by drinking and eating and I have you to thank<3 @Stephine @Wyorp Rock

Well these folks gave you good advise.
I learned something from a BYC accounting from a valuble article.
I will share it with you.
TREATING CHICKENS FOR COCCIDIOSIS.
WHAT TO USE AND WHY?

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-
How to Treat Coccidiosis?...
Treatment will work effectively and quickly if started when you see the first signs of disease

The treatment I have read about that is said to be the best is to separate your chickens and then use Corid 9.6% liquid solution. The dosage is 9.5cc to a gallon of water for five days. And there is no withdrawal period. You do need to make a fresh batch every day, and keep him/her away from... all the other chickens. Corid takes care of all 9 cocci that chickens could get.

Another treatment is Sulment (Sulfadimethoxine). But I have read it is not as effective as corid and only treats 2 kinds of cocci. There is also a 10 day withdrawal period for sulmet. Sulmet is a lot harder on chickens then Corid is. In case you want to try sulmet the dosage is 2 Tablespoons to a gallon of water for 2 days. Then reduce to 1 Tablespoon to a gallon for 4 days. But I would recommend Corid over Sulmet.

There are some home-aid treatments like the Milk Flush which is 4 pounds of dried milk, 2 pounds of corn meal, 2 pounds of oatmeal, and 1 pound of bran for 3-5 days feeding only this nothing else. This will flush the system out. However I don't know if this method has ever worked and would again encourage you to treat with Corid. In case you did want to try this though here is more information
http://www.backyardchickens.com/…/milk-flush-for-coccidiosis

Follow up treatment with vitamin supplement (especially A and K)

Use liquid treatment for treating chickens since chicks/chickens don't usually eat when infected by cocci.

Glenda Heywood
My favorite additive to treating their body to get well is tis
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
1 cup od dry mash
1/8 cup of flax seed meal (THE KIND FOR HUMANS)
2 cups of water
1/4 cup of plain yoguart.
Mix good and if too dry add more water DO NOT MAKE SLOOPY.
make more like cookie dough.
Now add
The Vit K and Vit A
by crushing the tablet in tablespoon.
If liquid pills cut ends off pill and add to mix and stir good.
NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT depending on the amount of chicks you are feeding do this
FOR EACH CHICK USE 2 TSP PER CHICK, AND VIT K AND VIT A FOR EACH CHICK.
Usually I fed it to the whole bunch of chicks as if one is infected so the others will get it.
feed this every day for 7 days as your medicating them
After they are well feed it once a week .

WHEN CHICKENS HAVE COCIDIOSIS WE ARE INSTRUCTED TO GIVE VITAMIN A AND K WHILE TREATING THEM WHY?
Glenda Heywood
I looked this up and here is the facts:
When we are told to give
Vitamins A and K, here is why with coccidiosis,...
which causes internal bleeding
Then we need Vitamin K
IE:
What is vitamin K good for?
Quick Answer
Vitamin K is primarily good for helping blood form clots when the skin is cut or bruised. The lack of vitamin K in an individual's system could result in too much bleeding, even from simple scrapes.

VITAMIN A
Vitamin A is a group of unsaturated nutritional organic compounds, that includes retinol, retinal, retinoic acid, and several provitamin A carotenoids, and beta-carotene. Vitamin A has multiple functions: it is important for growth and development, for the maintenance of the immune system and good vision.

Well this shows that the chicken is getting a good blood clotting agent from Vitamin K
And
Vitamin A is good for the immune system.
AS WELL AS TREATING WITH CORRID FOR COCCIDIOSIS.

Glenda Heywood
I would add this to the above statements.
I always was very particular about keeping the waterer area clean and dry
As the wet bedding and building causes Coccidiosis in the building.
So make sure you see that all wet debre is taken and cleaned up.
I always had a board surface about 2 ft by 3 ft setting under the waterer. Thus the board will absorb the water.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...nagement/41/life-cycle-and-types-of-coccidia/

Life Cycle and Types of Coccidia
Knowing how coccidia develop helps to understand and control the disease. Coccidiosis is caused in poultry by a one-celled parasite of the genus Eimeria. The life cycle of Eimeria takes about four to seven days to complete. It begins when active “oocysts” are picked up by the bird and swallowed. An “oocyst” is a capsule with a thick wall protecting the parasites. They “sporulate” or become infective if moisture, temperature, and oxygen become conducive to growth. After a bird eats the oocysts, coccidia imbed in the intestinal lining and multiply several times, damaging tissue.

A coccidial infection differs from bacterial and viral infections because coccidia are “self-limiting” and usually stop multiplying before killing the bird.

Coccidia are parasites, so they get their nutrients from the chicken host. The multiplications eventually stop, usually before causing death of the bird. The bird sheds the parasite in its droppings. These new oocysts can infect other birds. See the box “Coccidial Multiplication” for further details on coccidia’s complex life cycle.

Coccidical Multiplication

Coccidia are very prolific parasites. A single sporulated oocyst can have a big impact when eaten by a chicken. Each oocyst has four sporocysts in it, and each sporocyst has two sporozoites in it. The digestive tract releases the eight sporozoites from the oocyst, and they move into the cell lining of the digestive tract. Inside the cell, the parasite divides and invades more cells. There may be several generations of asexual multiplication; however, this stage is self-limiting and eventually stops. Finally, a sexual stage occurs in which male and female organisms unite and form new oocysts that are protected by a thick wall. These oocysts are shed in the feces. See Coccidia Life Cycle Diagram below.

Coccidiosis is usually a disease of young birds, but birds can be infected at any time if never before exposed. Coccidia populations take time to build to dangerous levels, therefore outbreaks usually occur when birds are between 3 and 8 weeks of age. Coccidiosis goes hand-in-hand with gut diseases, because it damages the gut and allows bacteria to enter and cause secondary infections. Coccidia are “species-specific” – coccidia that affect chickens do not affect other livestock, and vice versa (see Species-Specific Parasites box).

Species-Specific Parasites

Almost all livestock are affected by different types of coccidia. Each type of coccidia infects only one species of livestock – each is “species-specific.” There are seven different Eimeria that infect chickens, but only three cause most of the trouble in the U.S.: Eimeria tenella, Eimeria maxima, and Eimeria acervulina. Immunity to one type does not provide immunity for other types. Turkeys, ducks, geese, and other types of poultry are all infected by different types of coccidia.
Chicken coccidia species:
Eimeria acervulina
Eimeria maxima
Eimeria tenella
Eimeria necatrix
Eimeria mitis
Eimeria brunetti
Eimeria praecox
Turkey coccidia species:
Eimeria adenoeides
Eimeria meleagrimitis
Eimeria gallopavonis
Eimeria dispersa

Typical life cycle of coccidia in birds

07-06Coccidiosis3.gif

I will share it with you.

:woot! Thank you for all this info! I feel like I am back in infectious diseases class, lol. I read every word and definitely agree it helps to fight something when you better understand it. I put a board under the water - great suggestion! Going to use Poultry Nutri-Drench and Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes (which has vitamins A and K) after the 5 days of Corid is finished!~

Back
Top Bottom