Why Is My Hen Not Standing On Her Leg?

SkyWolf

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2023
This hen was also from the same people as the rooster on my previous thread. So I know next to nothing about what could have happened to her, though they do have a chicken who has been hit by a car. Anyways, nothing seems wrong when I look at the leg. No cuts, lumps, or skin discoloration. It seems normal, but she refuses to walk in it. She mostly lays down and does nothing all day. She doesn’t eat much unless it is close to her, making her a bit skinny. She does stand and walk sometimes, but she stands on one leg and hops to move. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9098.jpeg
    IMG_9098.jpeg
    635 KB · Views: 1,244
This hen was also from the same people as the rooster on my previous thread. So I know next to nothing about what could have happened to her, though they do have a chicken who has been hit by a car. Anyways, nothing seems wrong when I look at the leg. No cuts, lumps, or skin discoloration. It seems normal, but she refuses to walk in it. She mostly lays down and does nothing all day. She doesn’t eat much unless it is close to her, making her a bit skinny. She does stand and walk sometimes, but she stands on one leg and hops to move. Thoughts?
Any swelling on the upper part of the leg? I know you said no lumps but thats all i can think of.. I hope she recovers.

1. Are there any raised scales on her leg? You said no pumps, but raised scales may look normal, if you are not looking for that.

2. Did you check between the pads on the bottom of her leg? Sometimes looking is not enough, I had to spread the pads one time to find an injury that was invisible otherwise.

Any swelling on the upper part of the leg? I know you said no lumps but thats all i can think of.. I hope she recovers.
No swelling that I noticed. Everything seemed really normal. If anything the good leg was the one that had an old-ish abrasion. I can look again more closely tonight and let you know.

There is a possibility she is trying to mimic the rooster she is with right now. He foot got ran over and he can’t walk on it.

1. Are there any raised scales on her leg? You said no pumps, but raised scales may look normal, if you are not looking for that.

2. Did you check between the pads on the bottom of her leg? Sometimes looking is not enough, I had to spread the pads one time to find an injury that was invisible otherwise.
Her scales are all smooth, not raised. I did check her feet cause I was thinking it could be Bumble foot. I didn’t see anything, but I didn’t check well between the toes so I will definitely do that again💕

Your hen, seems to be a rooster. The spurs are incredibly long and the wattle and comb are huge and bright.
Sorry to hear your other roo is injured too.

Mine did a similar thing but recovered soon after, i just put food and water closer to her so she didn‘t have to walk as far. Maybe that could help yours. Try comparing the legs closely, it can be hard to find, but if its bothering her this much something is clearly wrong.

I think I would return both roosters to the people who gave them to you. You can’t bring home roosters, especially injured or sick ones, and try to make them better, and not upset your other chickens. Seabrights, the newest chicken in this thread, are one of the breeds that Mareks can be very common in. I would be cautious bringing in new chickens that are not kept quarantined, because of worms, lice, mites, and the various diseases that can make carriers of your flock. When going back and forth, take care to change shoes and use good biosecurity between flocks. Maybe you could help them with their problem roosters at their house.

I think I would return both roosters to the people who gave them to you. You can’t bring home roosters, especially injured or sick ones, and try to make them better, and not upset your other chickens. Seabrights, the newest chicken in this thread, are one of the breeds that Mareks can be very common in. I would be cautious bringing in new chickens that are not kept quarantined, because of worms, lice, mites, and the various diseases that can make carriers of your flock. When going back and forth, take care to change shoes and use good biosecurity between flocks. Maybe you could help them with their problem roosters at their house.
Both are separate from my chickens. I didn’t see lice or mites, nor worms in their poop, however I’m gonna treat them just in case out of caution. Not that I’m letting them join my flock. I’m not super concerned about Mareks has sadly about 7 years ago I lost half my folk to it. So they have all been exposed, even if it is dormant. My chickens I buy are vaccinated and the ones I hatch either have parents who are vaccinated or close ancestors who had it. Even so, definitely not mixing the folk, especially as these two are hurt and chickens aren’t kind to new birds. But I really do appreciate you concern and advice. I’m continue to be very careful and keep them apart, using some of your tips.

Your hen, seems to be a rooster. The spurs are incredibly long and the wattle and comb are huge and bright.
Sorry to hear your other roo is injured too.

Mine did a similar thing but recovered soon after, i just put food and water closer to her so she didn‘t have to walk as far. Maybe that could help yours. Try comparing the legs closely, it can be hard to find, but if its bothering her this much something is clearly wrong.
Yeah, I’m honestly sort of thinking this bird is just living in both genders right now. So supposedly she lays eggs and was even broody months back. Yet she has big spurs, wattles, and comb. Also crows every now and again. I had a hen like this once, chickens never cease to surprise me.

UPDATE: Looked at the leg super carefully last night. No swelling really, and still no discoloration or temperature difference. However, there seems to be major weakness right at the joint between the shank (lower leg) and thigh (leg under the feathers). I’m thinking there is possible a fracture or something like that maybe. The bird can slightly move it, but seems in pain when doing it, and rarely tries. But yes, food and water is close to both birds and they don’t have other chickens harassing them.

I’m not super concerned about Mareks has sadly about 7 years ago I lost half my folk to it. So they have all been exposed, even if it is dormant. My chickens I buy are vaccinated and the ones I hatch either have parents who are vaccinated or close ancestors who had it. Even so, definitely not mixing the folk, especially as these two are hurt and chickens aren’t kind to new birds.
But you plan on taking these birds back to their flock if you can cure them?
Potential of introducing Marek's into the other people's flock now...

It's going to take time and daily commitment to make sure your biosecurity routine is solid so you're not exposing your flock or these 2 to anything that can be spread to one another. Oh well. Hopefully things will turn out o.k.

BTW- The Marek's vaccine can help inhibit or slow tumors but does not prevent infection from the virus.

Back
Top Bottom