Why is my pet rooster doing head movements??

no his crop problem is not solved, I'm trying to help him with that. he may only eat soft foods with coconut oil and water with apple cider vinegar. I also sprinkle some dried oregano in the food.
I massage him several times a day, 10-30 minutes at a time.
first his crop was hard and I massaged mass and it was still hard, then a few days later it became softer and felt almost as usual except that he does not empty it completely at night.

now his crop feels like a tempur mattress, if I press it goes back slowly.
this morning it was like a hard ball again.
can not understand if it is impacted or sour crop
Then treat for sour and impacted.
Consider withhold feed for a day, but make sure he's drinking. Coconut oil along with a stool softener (stimulant free) can often help break up what's in the crop. Anti-fungal/yeast cream will help with sour crop. All outlined in the article linked.

I would offer soaked feed when you re-introduce feed. A crop issue can be due to an underlying condition, so it's good that you are going to de-worm him.

Sounds like his crop issue is not resolved. You may want to treat him for a sour and impacted crop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I have actually sent for deworming medicine that should come this week, however, I am afraid to give it directly in his beak due to the risk of getting it in the lungs.
Maybe I should be able to stir the medicine on eggs and invite the whole flock to it?
Yes, absolutely!! You want to treat the whole flock! Not sure what kind you ordered... if it's a powder or a liquid. But adding it to treats (and make sure all get their share!) is definitly the way to go. There are some that can be giving in their water as well.

today his crop was small but hard ... it felt so good yesterday. but something I noticed on him is that just when he has drunk water and he bends his head, he gets some of the water he drank and has to swallow again.
this is not every time he drinks and it only happens when he has drunk. any idea what it might be due to?

Hello
my pet rooster Torsten has since Wednesday (maybe longer) had a blockage in his crop and I have gotten oil in him and massaged and his crop has become softer and smaller.
this morning his crop was almost completely empty, not hard or doughy, but loose and almost completely flat.

but my question is:
every time he eats he makes strange movements that I think I can relate to the fact that he puts the right food in his crop but at the same time it looks like it is uncomfortable to eat (?)
he gets soaked pellets and he eats with great appetite and otherwise seems to feel just as usual?
he sings beautifully every morning, takes care of his girls and eats the food I now give in his diet.
if it were not for his head movements then I would say he seems almost restored.

he is the love of my life, hope someone can help with my questions.

Could be his feed is dusty? Is he shaking head sideways or sneezing while eating

If yes it happens alot with pet chickens Specially indoors , feed they eat gets their own dander that get stuck in nose or throat and they create odd movements .

If nothing like the above I will say could be nephrological symptoms give some vitamin E caps 7 days hopefully it improves the movements and u can use it often

Could be his feed is dusty? Is he shaking head sideways or sneezing while eating

If yes it happens alot with pet chickens Specially indoors , feed they eat gets their own dander that get stuck in nose or throat and they create odd movements .

If nothing like the above I will say could be nephrological symptoms give some vitamin E caps 7 days hopefully it improves the movements and u can use it often
thanks for your reply.
he shakes his head to the side and then a few different movements that I think look like he is adjusting his crop.
he eats only soaked pellets and has free access to gravel.
but he makes these movements when he drinks too, as if it would be uncomfortable to get down something in his crop.

he lives outside with his four girls and since we have restrictions on keeping the chickens inside due to bird flu, they only have access to their rest yard which has a roof over it. so he should not have been able to ingest anything improper such as plastic that put a stop to his crop.

I'm so scared his crop will get sour and start fermenting.
his crop obviously works because it empties at night but just not completely empty.
I do not know what the next step is to do, he seems to feel so good but then he makes those movements with his head and when he drinks water it sounds like a gargle sound from the throat.

CCB3CF44-14CD-4403-9639-9983F8241CDB.jpeg

and his poop is normal and as it always has been. nothing that stands out.

Back
Top Bottom