Why is my rooster coming after me? (UPDATE.pg.5)

Life is too short to take guff from a chicken. Kick the stuffing out of him. We used to keep a nice assortment of sticks at the chicken yard gate. Give him a whack or two and then chase him around the chicken yard a while. Show him who is boss.

You don't really need a rooster unless you are going to breed chickens. He is just an unwelcome guest in your flock. I can guarantee you the hens will not miss him at all.

Chickens are not real bright, and if you go into the chicken yard wearing a different pair of shoes or pants, they don't recognize you. Their frame of reference is from the ground up to about eighteen inches.

I think ladies have more problems with roosters because they wear flimsier clothes, whereas guys usually wear jeans and boots.

Rufus

Quote:
Rufus:

Life is too short to go around kicking the holy capoc out of creatures tens times smaller than ones self.
frow.gif
frow.gif
frow.gif

Quote:
Rufus:

Life is too short to go around kicking the holy capoc out of creatures tens times smaller than ones self.
frow.gif
frow.gif
frow.gif

Agreed
thumbsup.gif

Cook that rooster! Here's the reason why:
We got our first chickens a month ago, two buff orp hens and two roos. Our gorgeous rooster (Chicken Rex) attacked my three year old. Jump on him from behind and spurred him, let him get up and then attacked him again before I could get out of the chicken run we were building and grab our son. I had to beat off the roo with a blanket off the clothes line I grabbed on the run over. Terrified our kids (ages 8,4,3 and 9mos.)! That night he attacked our 8 year old and left a blood blister on his leg, good thing he had on jeans. The next morning I went into the yard and armed myself with a long walking stick. Rex attacked me when I let his girls out of the coop. Violent and vicious! I swung the walking stick at him in self defense and accidentally hit him in the head. I did feel horrible despite! Knocked him completely out. We finished him of humanely then and there. Three days later had to stew the other roo because the kids were still to afraid to go in the yard. Our hens are the absolute loveliest things and we LOVE them. They sit right beside us and "purr". However our four year old is still scared of them because of those roos. My point: you may have some lingering trauma if you let that "devil" roo run your yard. They do make tasty pot pies!

Oh, Mom! I'm so sorry to hear that....

I have seen threads around here where people didn't want to "harm" their terrible rooster so they would "put it up for adoption"... knowing full well the rooster was vicious.
sad.png

I hope that was not the case, but I'm just wondering...

Is everyone okay now?

Edited because I cannot spell...
hmm.png

Last edited:
Well, here's the thing.. life's also too short to put up with little nasty cusses, when it's not necessary at all.

I believe in being responsible, take very good care of my birds and all that. I also believe the responsibility includes dealing with aggressive roos.. yourself. Re-homing is basically in a way trying to pass on to someone else YOUR problem. IMO it is perfectly valid and useful option to sell aggressive roosters to someone with the intent to butcher and eat him.. if you cannot do that oneself.

As for saying aggressive roosters are trying to protect their girls.. Protect them from the very person(s) who brings food and water? Not gonna fly with me. Especially when there are plenty of GENTLE roosters who can do all the roosterly things minus attacking people or kids. If they need protection.. beef up that coop(and stew that roo).

Back
Top Bottom