Why is my Rooster showing aggression towards ME!

Okay I’ve done the pick him up and walk and talk with my Roo. I’ve done the hold his breast to the ground until he submits. I’ve done the ignore and use a stick to keep him a safe distance. I’ve done the quality time crap! He learned the pickup game and went after my arms then my face. So I did the pick him up and kennel him. He learned to straight up attack by the second time I grabbed him. People who are BLESSED with a sweet Roo cannot invision a dangerous Roo. Lucky them. If they are aggressive towards you at 7 months just WAIT! They only get bigger stronger smarter and more dangerous. Would you keep a dog that bit you or your family members? (Shaking my head)

I'm totally new at chickens and only have one (accidental) rooster, Marty the one man party. Now Marty has never came at me or my girls (11&12) but my husband and my boy (16&19) claim Marty sneaks up on them and gets them from behind. Now why in the world he go after the boys and not girls? No one messes with him, we don't try to hold him or baby him, he literally gets to do what he wants.. my husband and boys don't pay no attention to them. It's kinda sad but some days my hubby will carry around a ore because "Marty is in a mood" lol

Wow you really had a butthole didn't you? Those kind should never be considered fixable and as you know can't be reasoned with or ever trusted. Been there done that myself. This rooster though is about the size of a can of beans so a little more wiggle room is needed. Small boys know they're small and it makes them extra nutty. Big reason I haven't had tiny roosters in a very, very long time.:)
Okay I’ve done the pick him up and walk and talk with my Roo. I’ve done the hold his breast to the ground until he submits. I’ve done the ignore and use a stick to keep him a safe distance. I’ve done the quality time crap! He learned the pickup game and went after my arms then my face. So I did the pick him up and kennel him. He learned to straight up attack by the second time I grabbed him. People who are BLESSED with a sweet Roo cannot invision a dangerous Roo. Lucky them. If they are aggressive towards you at 7 months just WAIT! They only get bigger stronger smarter and more dangerous. Would you keep a dog that bit you or your family members? (Shaking my head)

You know I’ve have tried Roosters 3 different times. All were b-holes. I’m sure the day will come when one will be dropped at my door (don’tcha’ hate that) and I will probably give the fella a chance. Once you get the reputation as a “chicken crazy” people just think it’s okay to do. Who knows?

I think that these jerks who stalk and attack humans are generally unfixable and dangerous forever. It's just who they are, and there's not a lot of room in their little brains to make other decisions, at least not all the time.
Beekissed has a very good article about managing roosters, but these birds will try out every human they meet, and can cause real injuries, especially to children.
There are many polite cockerels and cock birds, and they are the ones to keep!
Mary

He thinks he can challenge you, as in you are another chicken and potential mating competition rather than a force to be respected.

Many people say this occurs from coddling a young cockerel, but I personally have not found that to be the case. I have seen no difference in frequency in the occurrence in this behavior - which in my experience is not that common - whether it is a babied chick or one that I was very hands off with.

He may outgrow it. Picking him up and carrying him around against his will sometimes helps, as it lets him know that you dominate him. If he is trying to creep up on you, turn around and face him and challenge him. He shouldn't be allowed to get the impression that you are intimidated by him.

Some people automatically say to kill him, but sometimes it is just a matter of doing the things I've mentioned and waiting for him hormones to calm down. Generally you would not want to "rehome" such a bird though, at least not without informing potential owners of his behavior; you especially wouldn't want such a bird at a home with small children.
In your experience, at what age do the hormones start to decrease and you may see the roo behaving better?

What works for me is striking a 'friendship' with my rooster rather than try to intimidate him and bully him. My rooster was never really that aggressive but have kicked me a few times, each time he kicked me I would grab him and hold him and pet him for a minute or two.... he would then relax and I would set him down. I continued to do that each and every time he kicked me and after awhile he realized that I was NOT a threat to him and it seems like he now somewhat enjoys my company whenever I go in the pen to replenish the waterer and feed. To me, I'd rather be on the friendly side than be enemies..... with enemies you can never trust yourself to be safe around them.

I would love to do this but the problem is I can NEVER catch him. He is so fast, his size doesn't help with the issue. He was the only "unsexed" chick we bought & I knew he was a HE-day one. Most of my chicks were/are skittish & didn't want to be picked up with except of two, he especially, which was good because we free range. I have never been mean or even indifferent to them they were never treated like 'just' an egg machine. I love my chickens. I just tried the stomping back at him because I had read it on BYC. Mr. Rooster earned that name early on, we had two Roos, he started crowing early on, well before Big Red even tried. Big Red was a Gold/Black Wyandotte, a big rooster but Mr.Rooster didn't back down. He also was the first to 'practice' mating with the Barred Rock hens! So, I guess he has always been spunky, to say the least!

But, if I can't catch him will taking him off the roost in the evening have the same effect? He will usually go to roost first so maybe it would...

Back
Top Bottom