Why is my TURKEY mating with MY CHICKEN!!>!>>!>!>!??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazypoultrychx, Nov 23, 2013.

1. crazypoultrychx

crazypoultrychx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    it is so very terrible.....Im having to kick him and hold her......and ITS JUST ONE BUFF HEN......I have 12 hens total and he is only mating this one......and it sounds so TERRIBLE......she starts SCREAMING.....and he wont stop....he is about 5x her size....and he is crushing her......HELP....what can I do besides cull him....

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Toms will mate with chicken hens and they can kill them. You need to separate him from your chickens.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You already stated the answer to the problem. Cull the tom.

4. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

X2 cull

I had a wild Tom turkey hanging around my pullets, this fall....he was trying to get them to come with him...good thing they were in their run...he was HUGE! I chased him off, so he started hiding in the bushes and "calling" to them..."come on girls...let's go for a walk"...They are huge and dangerous, domestic or wild...sorry, but Thanksgiving is here [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Separate him ASAP. Butcher him, rehome him, build him his own area and get him some turkey hens. Doesn't matter WHY he's doing it, fact is you're going to have an injured or dead hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by