Why is she laying a brown egg?

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
I just sold an EE pullet to a friend. This pullet is solid blue and came from a barred rock mother and a blue ameraucana father. She has cheek muffs and a pea comb. Daddy is 100% ameraucana from the Gardner line. Apparently the little pullet is laying a brown egg. How is this possible? She would carry the brown egg gene from her mother and the blue egg gene from her father. Doesn't she HAVE to lay green eggs?
I have been selling these EE pullets for a couple of years. I have always advertised them as being green egg layers. I sell them well before point of lay. Now I'm freaking out that I have told all these people that they are getting green egg layers when perhaps they are not.

Can someone please explain to me in simple terms egg color genetics?

Yes, they can lay all sorts of colors because the term EE now covers multiple generations of part ameraucana offspring.
BUT this girl is first generation from an ameraucana father with 100% blue egg genetic material being passed from his side. This girl would have 50% blue egg genetics and 50% brown egg genetics in her makeup. Theoretically shouldn't that insure that she lays a green egg of some shade?

Does your friend only have 1 hen? Maybe she's got the wrong layer with the wrong egg.

Sorry, Can't even begin to fathom the genetics.

Imp

so wait what ever the father is.....is what color of egg it will lay????
for ex.. i have barred rock leghorn X and the father is barred rock now they are white and look very much like the mother but they wont lay white eggs???

Blue egg genetics ate a bit different. Since brown is 'painted' on over the blue shell it makes a green egg.

If you have a brown layer roo x a white layer hen the eggs will probably be cream or light brown colored.

The egg color genes come from both parents
smile.png

Quote:
I don't think that when you cross those two it's a lock that you will get green eggs. I purchased 2 olive eggers that had the same mother and father, one laid a green egg add the other laid a dark pink egg. I think the mom was EE and the father was a maran.

If I remember biology correctly then there is always a possibility of taking all of one parents genes, in a single area.
hence the brown egg layer.

but I wouldn't worry about it it's a really low chance of that happening

Back
Top Bottom