why is she laying like this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beach livin', Nov 12, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    i snapped this pic a little while ago. she was laying like this a couple weeks ago as well. i thought i might have caught her mid roll in a dust bath, but now im starting to think she wasnt rolling. could something be wrong? she seems pretty healthy otherwise, and she gets right up when i approach her.

[​IMG]

2. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    sun bathing. all mine do it on chilly days.

3. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    My hens lay like that as well. All seems well since 2 days ago got my first egg from my hen porscha and today got another first egg from my hen Glory. So.. I would not think of anything to be wrong. Is it cold there or hot where you are? If its warm she might be laying like that to kinda cool off. If its cold than maybe something is wrong? Im no chicken expert so maybe some one will come along with better knowledge than I. [​IMG] Hope all goes well with your sideways hen [​IMG] Sending great warm wishes your way [​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:x2

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yep - that's their relaxed, stretched out, enjoying the sun pose [​IMG]

6. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    She's just enjoying the sun!![​IMG]

7. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    [​IMG] ok, thanks yall. that makes me feel better. it is a little chilly today, so i can see how she is trying to soak in the sun rays

8. heatherscreations1969

heatherscreations1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    Derbyshire UK
    Totally normal babe [​IMG] my chickens often do this...they are sunbathing....I have one hen who insists on laying like that right at the side of my feet, and promptly moans if I move [​IMG]

*hugs* Heather x

9. kpsullivan

kpsullivan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    My hens all lay like that when they are enjoying their dust bath. They take turns bathing, probably based on pecking order.

10. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Working on her golden tan.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by