Why keep Games?

CityClucks

The Center of a 50 Mile Radius
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't know enough about Game birds to know what the draw is. Could you game owners please enlighten me? For instance, for my purposes I've chosen breeds which are known for laying lots of eggs, and when we had meat birds we chose breeds known to grow quickly to be butchered in a few weeks. Why do you keep Games?

Thanks in advance for helping me continue to learn about clucks!

I have some american game chickens and they are great little chickens. The rooster has a very funny personality and he is sweet to his hen and humans.There was one time where my game hen laid just 1 egg and while she was sitting on it, a dog (german shepherd x Chow) found her nesting spot and decided to attack. She faced the dog and got bit on the chest, no bleeding though. After that she went right back on the egg and the egg hatched the next day. Recently my she laid 14 eggs and they all hatched and they are all healthy. Overall the game hen is a very good mother
smile.png

ETA: She has laid an egg everyday since she started laying, even in the cold.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
If your looking for the advantages of raising games the first I would say is hardiness and vigor. Especially American Games they can handle rough weather and conditions better and are great free-rangers. They are smart and have interesting personalities, the hens make great mothers. The roosters can be quite tame.

They know how to hold their own in free range conditions. The hens are broody machines and the best mommas you could ask for. They lay huge white eggs and can fend for themselves. Those are the main reasons my fil has them. They also have some really pretty color combinations.

Thanks so much for the info everyone. How often do they lay? I like the fact that they are great free-rangers and less susceptible to predators because of their more athletic abilities. I checked out that "Show off your Games" thread - man! they are some pretty birds!

Quote:
Most american games, and old english.. (standard) will lay daily.. A medium sized off white egg, And go broody at about 8-14 (though i've had up to 20) in the nest.. Bantams? about half that.. or less, but my OEGB's are laying almost daily. can't help with the orientals. Haven't owned any

Back
Top Bottom