Why to these crazy baby chicks chirp at night?

Petra Pancake

Songster
Jul 15, 2016
In the suburbs of Tel Aviv
My runaway broody has succeeded today in hatching baby chicks in a crack under our house. I haven't seen them yet but heard them. The little problem is that it's night here now and I can still hear them chirping clearly. They seem to be with their mother, I can hear her clucking in the same spot. But all this noise at night can't be good. It's bound to attract every predator in the area. Why do they do that?? I've got 2 other hens with chicks right now and they keep quiet at night. What can I do to make these suicidal little crazies shut up? I can't just pull the hen out of her hiding place because it's too narrow for a human to get in.

Can you see what's going on down there at all? It may be one of the chicks is separated from the broody, or for some reason she isn't able to get to them. They should all snuggle up at night and sleep unless something is bothering them. There may also be something down there with them, making them nervous, like a rat or other pest/predator. I'd try to get a good look at what's going on down there and assess the situation closer! Good luck!

I tried to get a look with a flashlight. Problem is, I can't get close to where she is. I could see the mother hen hunkered down there but I couldn't see the chicks at all. Just hear them chirping away. As far as I can tell from careful listening, there seem to be 3 chicks there, all in the same spot where the mother is or close by. They could be under the broody, as they should, or they could be somewhere behind her, further down the crack, impossible to tell. I'll have to wait until the morning. Maybe I can catch her and them when they come out (umm, if they survive the night and come out, that is).

Oy. That would have me too nerve-wracked to sleep. Can you somehow block up the crack for the night to try and keep anything OUT of their hidey-hole until morning?

I'd also consider blocking that space after they come out, so they can't get back in, and relocating them to a more secure area!

I'm afraid I can't block it, at least not right away, because I can't get near it. It would also require a lot of blocking (building) material because it's a rather wide crack, just with a very low "ceiling". The best thing is probably to catch them during the day and to lock them up in a safe space.

Update: The broody is still alive and at least one baby chick (and it's quiet now). The broody sat all day in her hiding place without moving and there was no chirping. I was already worried that the chicks were dead and she just kept sitting on some leftover infertile eggs. So I crawled as close as I could and waved a broomstick in her direction to make her move a bit. She didn't move, just gave me the stinky eye, but a black little baby chick stuck its head out from under her to see what's going on. However, I couldn't move her to a safe location because she stayed in her "cave" all day and I didn't want to try to pull her out by force with a hook or something - too much risk of injury.

Okay I will comment anyway . get a stick or hook and pull that silly bird out of there .set it up outside the hole in a wire cage and that her cluck for her chick . hopefully the chick will come out to find Mama .then plug the hole so she can't do it again
sounds like your hen is part groundhog.
Karen

Last edited:
Well, she came out today for a moment - with 8 (eight!) baby chicks in tow. But when I approached her, she darted back into the hole... I put water and food close to her. Now it's night here again, I'll have a new go tomorrow. At least they are quiet now. (Regarding the groundhog part - her name is "Coal", because of her pitch black color. Maybe she thinks she just belongs under ground in a mine...)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom