Why won't my Hens lay any longer?

Don't know where you live. You can use game bird or meat bird feeds which are higher in protein. They won't hurt the birds. I used to be able to get special higher protein feed for my chicks but that company has discontinued it so now I feed them Game Bird starter feed. The feed I use is only available in the Southeast.
I'm in Northern Mississippi. I'm heading out to my local Co-Op & I'll share these questions wt someone there especially about the higher protein feed. You Guys are Awesome!!❤❤❤

Hi, new2chickens81
Im also from north MS, just outside of clarksdale. Just wanted to speak since your in my area!
Ive got 13 hens and 2 roos, my hens were all babies this spring, and im currently getting 4-5 eggs a day. It was 7-8 a day about a month ago. Not sure if all are laying yet though as age varies from march babies through june babies. I figured they would have all stopped with the shorter days now, but reading into this post, i see where people are saying younger hens will tend to lay some in the winter. Thats awesome. I feed Purina Layena crumbles that i get from Tractor Supply in Batesville. They love the stuff.

Hi, new2chickens81
Im also from north MS, just outside of clarksdale. Just wanted to speak since your in my area!
Ive got 13 hens and 2 roos, my hens were all babies this spring, and im currently getting 4-5 eggs a day. It was 7-8 a day about a month ago. Not sure if all are laying yet though as age varies from march babies through june babies. I figured they would have all stopped with the shorter days now, but reading into this post, i see where people are saying younger hens will tend to lay some in the winter. Thats awesome. I feed Purina Layena crumbles that i get from Tractor Supply in Batesville. They love the stuff.
THANKS!! clintbwell!! I'll check this out I'm right outside of Batesville as well, Tate Co. I'm hoping something will work I really don't want to get rid of my ladies. They've grown on me❤❤❤

Thanks so much!! I will have to do this, add in younger hens, but I was scared bc of diseases & I didn't want to bring in any new chickens to my existing flock.❤

It's fairly safe to bring in chicks from reputable sources, such as a large hatchery. So I wouldn't necessarily worry about adding birds unless you're bringing older birds from sources that might not be so concerned with biosecurity, like someone's backyard flock.

As far as your original question I don't get eggs in winter since our days are so short and we don't supplement light. I currently have 1 hen laying out of 7, she produces an egg about once every 3 days, but I don't think that'll continue for too long as the days continue to shorten.

No disrespect intended to anyone who offered contradicting advice but I believe "for everything there is a season" is true.
I think the oder hens stop laying when the days are shorter for a reason ; they need a rest. Their bodies are stressed. They are molting & growing new feathers. A little extra protein probably won't hurt and may help with molting. I don't add light because I feel like mine deserve a rest. They laid eggs most days their first and second year.
I do hatch chicks and sometimes buy chicks each year to replenish my layers. I'm let my older girls retire and work part time.
Again, no offense to you who have a different opinion.
Disclaimer: my hens & pullets are pretty much pets with benefits & I don't know how much you count on those eggs.

My eye was caught by 2 things in your original post...as many have said it is most likely a seasonal shut down, but the 2 things I took note of is sneaky egg predators. Is it possible there is still one lurking? Second, that you redid your nest boxes. Most hens are territorial about their boxes. If your new boxes aren't to their liking they may be laying in some obscure spot you would never think they would choose over the boxes you provided. Egg hunt time.

No disrespect intended to anyone who offered contradicting advice but I believe "for everything there is a season" is true.
I think the oder hens stop laying when the days are shorter for a reason ; they need a rest. Their bodies are stressed. They are molting & growing new feathers. A little extra protein probably won't hurt and may help with molting. I don't add light because I feel like mine deserve a rest. They laid eggs most days their first and second year.
I do hatch chicks and sometimes buy chicks each year to replenish my layers. I'm let my older girls retire and work part time.
Again, no offense to you who have a different opinion.
Disclaimer: my hens & pullets are pretty much pets with benefits & I don't know how much you count on those eggs.

This. I feel the exact same way. It's bad enough we females get our monthly. I'd hate to have to pop out a large egg on top of it all every single day as well. I refuse to add supplemental light to my coop in the winter. My girls are getting their Beauty Rest!

It is 40 and raining now with snow in the forecast for later this afternoon. My birds are outside if they want to be--their choice. The pop door is open and there are plenty of dry overhangs if they want out of the weather,

Back
Top Bottom