• Other Breed

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

Ryan Moorefield

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Argos, Indiana
I have 2 Black Australorp hens that are almost 1 year old and haven't laid a single egg yet. I have provided nesting boxes but they still haven't laid. Can anyone help me?

I'm confused. Do you want to know what my favourite breed is or why your chickens won't lay? And what have these questions got to do with coop design lol

I selected Ameraucana, but my favourite breed might be Sebright just because my little man loves me so.

About your laying problem... My first question would be: are you sure they're hens? If you're 100% certain, then as above suggested, they might be laying elsewhere. Third question might be: are you sure of their age?

Could be stress, lack of protein? I have a 1 year old Wyandotte that has not laid, yet she sits in the nesting box???? Im thinking she maybe an internal layer.

Maybe they are broody?

I am sure of the age because I got them when they are young. I am sure they are hens because they don't fight with the rooster. I am sure they aren't laying elsewhere because I can't let them free roam right now but they have access and spend most of their time outdoors.

Pics of the birds, please.
Please describe how they are housed, type of coop, size of run, etc.
What are you feeding them.
What other birds are they housed with?

Have you seen any signs of predators-raccoon or neighbor egg thief- or any signs of cannibalism?

Last edited:
I have the same problem. 1 Barne did a semimolt and hasn't started again, and the other Barne and Shaver have gone off in sympathy. The two new RIRs about 8 or 9 months old have never laid an egg.

Fresh food (layers pellets), fresh bugs and greens (regular free ranging) even their normal 40 sqr meter area and and all have been checked for little crawly nasties.

So frustrating. Had to buy eggs for the first time in a year.

Back
Top Bottom