why won't they lay anymore?

AmberWavesofGrain

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
I recently went from 3 hens to 7 hens and a rooster and now nobody is laying (and yes, they have PLENTY of room and food). Anyone know why? There are definitely some scuffles going on, but nothing too serious, and the rooster is young, so he isn't being a pain. It has been almost a week now, and we've had maybe 3 eggs. UGH! Please help!

Chickens hate change. You've disrupted their life by adding new chickens. Give them a little more time to adjust, then you'll be getting eggs again. (unless the stress starts a molt)

I added 12 birds about 3 weeks ago. I was getting none or maybe 1 egg a day, but they have finally picked up and today I got 5 eggs but 1 was cracked open because the andalusian (?sp) likes to lay her egg, then turn around and eat it. So frustrating.

Somehow I missed this post when I was looking before....

I have a similar problem. My girls lost 2 of their number in the past month, and I forgot that I recently placed my "babies" in a mini-coop/sectioned off area of the coop to gradually integrate them with the flock. Maybe this stress and change have my girls giving me 3 eggs from 11 layers when I had been getting 10-13 from 13 layers.

Last edited:
i'm with you, same problem. added some new hens and no eggs now they are molting.....AGH so stressful. i could have sold 20 dozen eggs this week!!!! Everyone wants eggs and then no eggs not even for there human mother!!
idunno.gif

I have a well established flock and no one is laying right now. I just assumed it was too hot and am looking forward to them picking back up this fall.

When I bought my 4 adult chickens and brought them home, they went from laying every day for their original owner, to almost nothing for about 2 weeks. Then they started laying, but didn't get back to normal until about 3 weeks after the move.

Most likely it is the change with the new additions into your flock. Our girls slowed way down this week, but the temps outside spiked. I link the two together.

Back
Top Bottom