Wild Duckling With Runny Nose

LilSebStrider

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
So my mom works as a vet and so sometimes they bring rescued animals for adoption there like cats or the likes- recently though, someone had found a lone duckling and brought it there.

Now it is mine to take care of with my mom, though we have a problem: It has a runny nose. The duckling itself seems to be fine as it eats, swims (under supervision for around 30 min) and does its business as well as cleans itself while in the water. Though it still has a runny nose! The liquid is clear like water, as consistent as water, but is not water as it just comes out his/her nostrils almost all the time.

I wipe it off of course but it keeps coming back at a regular pace no matter what! It's not sneezing more than it should (aka rarely) and is kept warm while sleeping plenty. What is it and what should I do?

(As a side note, he/she tends to shake its head to get the snot all over the place but at least off her/his face.)

Last edited:
So my mom works as a vet and so sometimes they bring rescued animals for adoption there like cats or the likes- recently though, someone had found a lone duckling and brought it there.

Now it is mine to take care of with my mom, though we have a problem: It has a runny nose. The duckling itself seems to be fine as it eats, swims (under supervision for around 30 min) and does its business as well as cleans itself while in the water. Though it still has a runny nose! The liquid is clear like water, as consistent as water, but is not water as it just comes out his/her nostrils almost all the time.

I wipe it off of course but it keeps coming back at a regular pace no matter what! It's not sneezing more than it should (aka rarely) and is kept warm while sleeping plenty. What is it and what should I do?

(As a side note, he/she tends to shake its head to get the snot all over the place but at least off her/his face.)
Try VetRX!!! This has helped SO MANY of our sneezing chicks and chickens. You can buy it at Pet Club/Tractor Supply. You rub it in nostrils and put a little in his/her mouth. Also add Apple Cider Vinegar to its water to keep the immune system strong. One more thing, give the duckling a small jar or cup or anything just big enough to put her/his head into the water to blow out the nose. I wouldn't be too worried about it though, many ducks get this and it shouldn't be life threatening. Hope this helps!!

He/She got better then- Mom fed it while not watching over it and it... it choked to death on food. She knew better than to not pay attention during feeding which is the worst part.
Hello again depression.

Back
Top Bottom