Wild pigs

Quote:
X2.

Lock and load and shoot away. If I lived in a state with feral pig problems It would be a my year long hobby to rid them from the land. I'm talking night vision, supressed guns the works to take out as many as possible.

and recruit your buddies too because you won't begin to keep up.

they're a massive problem in many areas and spreading out. in some areas of MO they're starting to be a problem, and the conservation department has started to post "report hogs" billboards in our area, so they're worried about them encroaching here.

ditto on them not having been seen before because they're just moving in. call your local extension office, they may have an eradication program. as long as there's food, they'll stay, and they eat almost everything, and root up much of the rest. bad for the local flora, bad for the local fauna too because of habitat destruction. the fact that they're not respectful of big dogs is worrysome. it means they're not likely to be too respectful of people either. if you've got kids in the area, I'd worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
if they haven't yet, they will be soon. get a handle on them as soon as you can... and you'll have to watch for them from now on... there's more where these came from.

Yes they have a big 150lbs+ pit/mastiff, a 90lbs lab/rot and, a 70lbs shepherd going after them and its barely pushing them, and a little year old pit/boxer who just barks and wont leve the deck. I watched them continue to forage while the dogs barked and tried to chase non moving objects. My grandma saw them a couple weeks ago and said they were bigger then Shane the 150lbs pit x when next to them. DBF saw one about 20 mins before we saw the group of babies today, and said it was twice the size of Shane and maybe 300lbs. No kids at the ranch but my grandparents are gettin up there (papa turned 80 this year but dont let the number fool you, he's still out there on his tractors often and probably wont put down a chainsaw til he's on his deathbed or someone takes it from him!) and grandma goes out walking all the time.. With a stick
roll.png
and the dogs that dont scare them at all.

Quote:
That was an episode of "Diary of a Foodie" they were cured to make ham, looked so good. As I recall it was a special type of acorn that grew in a very specific region of spain. I used to have a UPS driver that was a pig hunter, he swore it was really good. Every christmas we get a pig to slaughter for tamales and other good stuff, I wonder if I can find a wild pig hunter...

Quote:
she needs to be walking with a gun, something no smaller than a .45. with hollowpoints.

I sent two 100 lb plus great dane/catahoula crosses to a hog hunter in texas... these are big TOUGH hounds bred for hunting hogs and they put kevlar vests and throat protection on them before they send them out.

I have an email friend who's wife was very nearly killed by a half dozen domestic hogs in the 150-200lb range. these were hogs she raised and were normally respectful and non agressive. she was extrordinarily lucky she wasn't killed. she spent MONTHS in the hospital, both arms broken, broken femur, cracked vertibrae and many many bites and torn wounds. wild hogs can be fierce and agressive, but often they're shy. these aren't, that's worrying. grandma is no match for them.

if we had wild hogs I surely wouldn't be out unarmed.

Quote:
X2.

Lock and load and shoot away. If I lived in a state with feral pig problems It would be a my year long hobby to rid them from the land. I'm talking night vision, supressed guns the works to take out as many as possible.

and recruit your buddies too because you won't begin to keep up.

they're a massive problem in many areas and spreading out. in some areas of MO they're starting to be a problem, and the conservation department has started to post "report hogs" billboards in our area, so they're worried about them encroaching here.

ditto on them not having been seen before because they're just moving in. call your local extension office, they may have an eradication program. as long as there's food, they'll stay, and they eat almost everything, and root up much of the rest. bad for the local flora, bad for the local fauna too because of habitat destruction. the fact that they're not respectful of big dogs is worrysome. it means they're not likely to be too respectful of people either. if you've got kids in the area, I'd worry.

Funny you mention recuit your buddies, that is the plan.
big_smile.png
Me and some buddies are heading down to Georgia this spring to help out some farmers.
smile.png

Here is Michigan they estimate the hog population to only be 2000-5000. Open season all year and no longer allowed on game ranches, which is where they came from
somad.gif
. There has not been many siting where I live & hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
patman, the guy I sent my dogs to (in texas) hunts hogs full time ... he says he takes 300 hogs on an average week, and they're losing ground. if where you and your buddies are going is anything like what they've got in texas, you need to take me too!
lol.png

I've got a new (ok, it's really old, just new to me) schmidt-ruben that needs a job...

He takes 300 a week? a week??? How in the world does he do that. Does he trap or shoot? It just doesnt seem possible, thats over 40 hogs a day.

he traps some, shoots more, hunts with dogs, hunts full time, 7-10 days in the field at a time, usually has 1 other guy working with him. and they are OVERRUN. he's got private contracts on a number of large ranches... and at 300 a week, he's not keeping up.

ETA I haven't hunted with him, but I've seen a photo of him with a pile of hogs near as tall as he was... had to be more than 30 of them, I could count 18 or so just from the front view of the pile.

Last edited:
Quote:
No hunting with dogs in California. These look like a hybrid between domestic hogs, and by the long snout on the one, the wild boar that were imported in the 19th C. for wealthy hunting clubs.

They will destroy the property, dig up the septic tank looking for grubs, and kill and eat pets. A .12 g slug gun is pretty effective at close range; they make excellent ham. Ground up 50-50 with beef they make a good sausage.

Back
Top Bottom