Wildlife Photography

IMGP6743b.jpg

I used a Canon 80D for the last 5ish years and I currently use a Canon R5. DSLRs still work very well and are probably the best bang for your buck, but mirrorless is definitely the future....
I'm curious if the animal eye AF on the Eos R5 does a good job with fast moving chickens? It says it does birds eyes, but didn't specify chickens. Do you find the eye AF helpful in your birds in flight photos?

I'm curious if the animal eye AF on the Eos R5 does a good job with fast moving chickens? It says it does birds eyes, but didn't specify chickens. Do you find the eye AF helpful in your birds in flight photos?
I don't think it will have any trouble at all with chickens. I've used it on birds sized from killdeer to pelicans and it works very well. If it can't detect the eye it will grab the entire bird or the head until it recognizes an eye.

I really don't shoot alot of birds in flight but it has worked pretty good when I have used it on them. If the background is close and very busy it will occasionally get confused and when this happens I have a button preset to an AF zone that I'll push until the background clears up. I don't have to use it very often.

I'm sure the eye AF on the R5 would have absolutely no problems grabbing a chicken eye and sticking to it.

I guess the only thing that might confuse it would be heavy muffs or something near the eyes.

I'm no photographer, but several years ago, I was pleasantly surprised by this visitor in my backyard tree (I had no chickens, then). I laid on my lawn for a good half hour, taking pictures and just watching. It was a thrill, as we live in the burbs
received_701451908305677-jpeg.3391322
That is super cool!

Back
Top Bottom