will 6 month old ducks sit on their eggs?

How many eggs till a duck will sit is totally dependent on the duck, i've seen various amounts. As for age? most won't till their older, as they have only begun to lay at that aging.

I did have a less than 1yo duck sit this past summer, she was a good broody but her mothering skills were lacking, she gave up pretty quick, being young i don't think she had the dedication required, of coarse could just be her too, i won't know unless she sits another nest in future.

Last edited:
my mallard layed all these eggs. she is 6 to 7 months old and she is laying on them. when do you think they will hatch ?

Last edited:
To the original post:
Your 6 month old duck may sit on them. I've found that some will not matter what as long as you allow her to make a proper nest. But others won't until it's the right time of the year. A lot of mine will only go broody in the warm months, April through Sept. But I did have a Khaki campbell hatch out a nest at Christmas time a few years ago

fallenangel:
Mallard eggs generally take about 28 days (from the time the last egg was laid) to hatch

To the original post:
Your 6 month old duck may sit on them. I've found that some will not matter what as long as you allow her to make a proper nest. But others won't until it's the right time of the year. A lot of mine will only go broody in the warm months, April through Sept. But I did have a Khaki campbell hatch out a nest at Christmas time a few years ago

fallenangel:
Mallard eggs generally take about 28 days (from the time the last egg was laid) to hatch
thank you :)

My mallard is 6 months old and has hatched two ducklings and is still sitting. My other 6 month old is still laying but shows no sign of wanting to sit.

How about Muscovy's? When I got mine, they were about 2mos. old. I was told they were 2 females, well their not. I was told also that they couldn't swim yet so not to let them by the water. I kept them penned till their 3rd row of feathers came in and 1 doubled in size and the other quadrupled in size. lol If they breed and have lil ducklings, do I have to take them and get them away from the water and put in a pen? Probably won't happen till next spring, but looking for advice early, so not caught off guard. Thanks

How about Muscovy's? When I got mine, they were about 2mos. old. I was told they were 2 females, well their not. I was told also that they couldn't swim yet so not to let them by the water. I kept them penned till their 3rd row of feathers came in and 1 doubled in size and the other quadrupled in size. lol If they breed and have lil ducklings, do I have to take them and get them away from the water and put in a pen? Probably won't happen till next spring, but looking for advice early, so not caught off guard. Thanks

From my experience, it sounds like you have one male and one female. If there is a large size difference, that is an easy way to tell as males are larger than females with this breed.

If they do breed (which they will, even if you don't see it) you may want to keep them in a pen. The reason I say this is because the hen may go off and build a nest somewhere where you can't find it. Then she'll be vulnerable to predators as well. But if you pen them, then she will start her nest at least in a safe place and somewhere you can find it.
And keep in mind that muscovies take 35 days to hatch, not the usual 28
But the mother will teach the little ones how to swim if you have them near a pond. I would suggest keeping them away until they are at least a week old. I've found that newly hatched babies get chilled much easier as well as water-logged (you don't want them to drown)

Hope that helps!

Helps alot, thanks. So hard keeping them in the pen, they spend the whole time trying to find a way out and back to the pond. Wish I could train them to come in and night and go out and play during day or that they would just follow the chickens. lol

Back
Top Bottom