Will a carabiner deter raccoons?

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
We're going to use basic (non-climbing, non-locking) carabiners on the latches on our coop to secure it. Will these deter raccoons?

carabiner.jpg

We've had chickens for almost 2 years now, and caribeners have worked amazingly for us! We haven't lost a single chicken yet and hope never to. I hope you're as lucky as we have been! Also, if you decide against caribeners,one piece of advice- DON'T use screw and eye hooks. our friends with chickens had a bad experience with that last year; raccoons can open them. I highly suggest a caribener or 2.

We use them as well on our run and nest box doors. I seriously doubt a racoon could open one The latches also have a twist loop to really hold the door closed, and there are two sets of latches on the door, top and bottom because a racoon could yank the bottom of the door and rack it out of shape if there was just one set.

I also put in a simple hook and eye set on the inside of the door, near the bottom, so the chickens can't push open the door and escape when I'm in the run with them.

~Phyllis

Last edited:
Tell me what you choose and if it works once you know. I hope your chickens stay safe and sound, regardless of what you choose to keep them that way.

That is exactly what I have to lock my coop--- 2 of them. I can't get them off myself half the time, so I imagine the raccoons would have a hard time of it.

Back
Top Bottom